Chapter 8: Walking

One week later

After Damian's little attempt to stand up Bruce had decided he better had started to work on walking with his little boy. He got Damian one of those wheely things that kept the baby a little bit of the ground but still made it so the could push around and move. He'd been putting him in that hoping it would give his son a little practice with the motion of walking.

Damian enjoyed it quite a bit, entertained with following his father around.

Bruce had gotten quite use to the sound of wheels following him making it hard for him not to pick up his son. He knew Damian needed to learn how to walk so picking him up and carrying him around all the time wasn't something he was supposed to do.

He laughed at his son's pride in his developing skill in his little wheeler.

It came time to feed Damian and it was clear he didn't want to leave his wheeler so he knew he had to feed him from it.

Bruce went to the kitchen and got a jar of banana then squatted to start feeding Damian. Damian gladly ate the bites of the banana mush that being his favorite flavor. As usual the baby got very messy when he ate even getting some of the mush on his Batman sleeper.

Laughing at his son's condition Bruce gladly picked up his son from his wheeler. Damian would have struggled for anyone else but being his father Damian gladly let his father pick him up.

Bruce took the messy baby over to the sink and washed his face off the entire time Damian struggling not enjoying the rag Bruce used to clean him of or the feeling of being scrubbed. He then took Damian up to his room and put him on the changing table. He took of his sons messy sleeper leaving him in just his diaper.

Bruce figured that this would be fine for now so he picked Damian back up and took him downstairs.

After they were back down Damian reached for his wheeler whining when Bruce didn't put him back.

"I think we've had enough practice today bud for now I just want to hold you."

Damian kept struggling but eventually grew tired and snuggled into his father's arms. All the little tyke really wanted was to be like his father and be a big boy which meant he had to learn to walk.

Bruce could sense this knowing his own son so he just hugged his little boy also placing a kiss on his head.

"I know you want to be like papa but you should enjoy being a baby while you can. Believe I want to pick you up while I can so please just do this for papa."

Damian could never resist his papa, just like Bruce couldn't resist his son, so Damian nodded and smiled as he enjoyed his father's embrace.

Bruce smiled back as he loved on his son happy to know he was for now just his baby. There was always time for his son to learn walking but not to be his baby so he enjoyed his son and took on the moments.

Two months later

Damian had made quite a bit of progress in walking now being able to stand on his own. Often you would find Bruce taking Damian's tiny hands and leading him to practice walking. Damian loved the little height boost he got from standing on Bruce's feet.

The boys had caught this on camera on numerous occasions happy to see father and son with one another.

"Ok here we go."

Bruce was walking his boy all around the living room being there the entire time to support him. Damian was off of Bruce's feet forced to put one wobbly foot in front of the other. He was getting very close to taking his first steps but still needed some of his father's support to move around.

It was then Bruce decided to try getting Damian to walk on his own. He put Damian on his feet in the middle of the room and then walked about ten feet away.

Damian was only in a dark blue t-shirt and diaper having no pants to interfere with his walking. He looked down at his small chubby feet shaking already. He then looked up at Bruce eyes filled with fear.

"Papa scawd!" Damian said his lips quivering.

"It's ok I'm right here, papa's here to catch you if you fall." Bruce said as he held out his arms.

Damian saw the faith in his father's eyes and got the confidence to move forward. He put one wobbly foot in front of the other only able to take two steps before falling on his behind. Damian cried feeling like he failed his father but was quickly picked up and consoled by him.

"It's ok it's ok Papa's proud of you for just trying buddy so let's try again."

They tried for an hour straight for Damian to walk but the most he got to was three steps before falling down each time Bruce running to catch him. Bruce decided Damian had had enough for now and said they could try again tomorrow.

The next day everything was ready Dick got out a camera ready to film this moment, and everyone was there to support him. Bruce put Damian his usual ten feet away and the put his arms out.

"Come on Damian come on you've got this come on!"

Everyone cheered beckoning Damian to step forward and walk. He looked nervously down at his feet and took three steps nearly falling down causing him to freeze.

He looked up and saw Bruce had the utmost confidence in him giving him the strength to continue. Damian took four steps then then two more and much to everyone's excitement made it into Bruce's arms.

As everyone cheered for the babes accomplishment Bruce hugged his son tightly throwing him in the air every once only to catch him and put him in yet another loving hug.

It was quite a day and everyone was excited happy to see their little boy growing up.