6%

Indigo's POV

I remember the days I could stare at myself in the mirror and be content with what I saw on the other side. Now that the years have past- I couldn't say the same. Memories lurk in the back of my mind. As much as I try to push them away, I can't avoid them once nightfall hits. All alone with only my dark thoughts to keep me company.

"You are the one who left Indigo! You took your shit and just left. Do you understand what that kind of shit could do to somebody? Clearly you don't. You didn't even have the guts to say goodbye- you left without a warning and on my birthday." Dylan's screams filled my ears as I sat in the living room shaking. I stared at the floor- I couldn't even look my little brother in his eyes. He had every right to be mad at me, but I had to leave. If I hadn't he'd also be in danger. I knew by the cracks in his voice that he was crying. Oh how I wanted to pull my brother into my arms, wipe away those tears and tell him everything is going to be alright.

But I couldn't.

I had failed as a sister, and most importantly a protector. Something I had promised when I had gotten Dylan out of the house with Ma and Pa. I couldn't make up an excuse saying if was for his own good.

Dylan walked closer, but I kept my head down. I knew what I deserved for this. I could never be forgiven.

"Get out Indigo, I can't stand to even look at you." I didn't move, tears streamed down my face. I opened my mouth to speak, but it was like my throat had closed in on itself. I couldn't form any words to say.

"Get out Indigo- this shouldn't be a problem for you now."

"Get out Indigo."

"Get out Indigo."

"Indigo"

"Indigo."

"Indigo!"

I jerked up. Sweat dripping down my face, mixed well with tears. Breathing heavy, a hand places itself on my shoulder.

"It wasn't real pup." A deep voice spoke beside me. I slowly looked next to me to reveal Jacob had woken me up. I wiped up what was left of my tears on my face and looked at Jacob. He wore thin sleep pants with a grey tank top that showed off all the scars on his arms and upper chest. I tried not to stare long, but I quickly moved my eyes to the item he wears everyday so proudly. His dog tags. In the time I've spent up in the Whitetail mountains, I don't think I've ever seen him without them on. His face wore an almost pained expression. Bags clear under his eyes as if he hadn't been sleeping well or even at all.

"It felt so real." Jacob nodded understanding where I was coming from. He slowly pulled my blanket off of me the rest of the way off of me. He stood up and walked to the side of the bed I was on. He took my hand and pulled me to my feet. My bare feet hit the cold wooden floor of my room. Making me want to crawl back into my bed as the coldness hits my whole body. And wearing black shorts with a tank top to match didn't help. I let Jacob take my hand and lead me out of my room and down stairs to the cabin's kitchen. Looking out the small window above the sink made me see the sun was making its appearance.

"I hope I didn't wake you" I spoke softly as Jacob went into the fridge, he pulled out leftovers from the previous night then setting it onto the counter.

"I was already awake pup." Jacob called back as he walked over to the fireplace, lit a fire. Then returning to where he previously was putting the leftovers into a pot and setting it by the fire to warm it up. I followed him over to the fire and sat on the small couch not to far from the fire. I pulled my dirty blonde hair behind me. Jacob took a seat next to me. I look over.

"What's the plan for today?"

"We have to go to the medical center to day. Work with the judges- a new litter has been born. Also Joseph is dropping by while we are there to see the improvement of the conditioning on any new protentional soldiers." I perked up at the words new litter. That meant new pups I got to see and hold while Jacob wasn't paying attention. I nodded back at him.

Jacob's POV

I lied there staring at the ceiling, I couldn't sleep. I knew it was almost dawn so there was no point in trying now. I start to sit up. I hear faint crying coming from the next room. Indigo's room. She's been living up here with me since she got here. Her brother had thought it was the best idea for her to stay in the Whitetail mountains. I found it amusing how he was afraid his sister would be turned into and angel if she lived with Faith or be uncomfortable with John. Considering Dylan isn't around John 24/7 he wouldn't be able to keep an eye on his sister.

Indigo is a interesting girl to say the least. When she lets her guard down, she looks so innocent like nothing in this world could possibly lay its hand on her. Especially when she is here with me in the mountains. But in her dark eyes- you can see the hellfire. Something eating at her as if begging to be brought out.

I remember her confession. She wanted me there. Indigo trusts me. I can't even begin to understand what I did in order to gain her trust, but I liked it. More than I'm willing to admit. I saw a little bit of myself and my brothers within her. When she told her story, what her and Dylan had been threw reminded me of myself and John. But the little bit of hope and faith the girl held reminded me of Joseph. It was like her own version of our stories were being told at a different perspective. I know she can handle her own but with knowing this, I developed an urge to protect her.

At all costs.

Author's note

Heyyy everybody its been quiet some time since I wrote in this. I hope you guys enjoyed it.

-Dez