Chapter 3: Now You See Me, Now You Don't

A/N: I am SO sorry I just disappeared without a word, or updating the introduction's "delays and publishing timeline" with any sort of information as to why I vanished for a bit. I had some health problems to deal with and it's been a bit of a struggle. I'm feeling a bit better now though.

During my unexpected "hiatus" I still saw every interaction people have had with this story and it's really given me the strength to fight through my problems. So thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.

Just know I will NEVER abandon this story. I will keep going until I finish it completely, even if things get in the way. I may have to take a step back from time to time but I will try extra hard to make sure I say something about it so none of you will end up worrying.

As compensation, this one is the longest chapter so far. I hope you enjoy.

WARNING: Cursing and minor gore descriptions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  You blinked wearily, squeezing your eyes shut again at the sunlight flooding into your room. Pushing yourself up, you rub your eyes, opening them to find your covers strewn all over your bed. You must have tossed and turned a lot last night.

'Ah... it's finally Saturday,' you feel relieved as you stretch.

'Wait...' you flinched, pausing mid-stretch as you recalled the previous night, 'I need to stop forgetting I'm not alone anymore.' You use a couple more stretches as an excuse to scan your room.

  'Not here... or at least I can't see him. That should be good right?' You thought nervously. You slide off your bed so you can start the day, haphazardly tossing the covers into a more reasonable mess. 'I don't have to pretend to not see him if I literally can't,' you try and rationalize, 'but he could still be watching me at any point... anytime and anywhere, and I wouldn't even know it!' You could feel the tension building within you.

  You didn't know which was worse, seeing a ghost and knowing where they were or not seeing one but not being able to know if they were there or not. Even though you knew you wouldn't have to fake it as much because you couldn't see him, you felt like you couldn't let your guard down and relax at all! If anything, it felt like you had to be extra careful. You knew you couldn't try and help any other ghosts around town move on because now you could never be one hundred percent sure you were alone... or you could end up landing yourself in a similar situation again.

'If I make it through this, I'm never following anything that sounds like trouble again. Maybe I should even give up on helping ghosts too... for real this time,' you clench your jaw as you step out of your room to go make breakfast.

  Illuso was moving from object to object in the living room, taking in the details of everything you decorated it with, no matter how small. Moving on from a random candle, he began to examine a picture frame hung on the wall of some landscape. Snapping out of it, you realize you were staring.

  'You know what, no. I'm not going to let him ruin my day! Who cares what he does!' You continued on into the kitchen, steeling your resolve with every step. 'Today is going to be great,' you reassure yourself, 'I'll focus on one thing at a time. Starting with a good breakfast!'

  You got to work gathering everything you needed from the cabinets and moved on to the fridge. Reaching for something in the door, you jump back as Illuso poked his head through the fridge door. Your heart jumps in your chest, "A-aha, I think the milk is expired," you chuckle nervously. He cocked his eyebrow at your sudden shift in behavior. You grab the milk from the shelf in the door, avoiding making eye contact with his ugly-looking face, and throwing the milk straight into the trash. 'Goodbye, perfectly fine milk. Your sacrifice won't be forgotten...'