What Then Lasts Forever

"Why'd you do it? Why couldn't you just let it go?"

I watched the light of the salt lamp flicker in her monochrome office before thoughtfully answering, "No one should make you hate your favorite song."

'Vekhaan mein lights aanday flashback. (I see those lights give me flashbacks) Look in my eyes, in my eyes. Dus... ki samajhdi ain toon' (and tell me what you understand) "I've noticed you change your nail color a lot?" He asked as I licked a drop of melted sorbet off of my thumb. Hagen Daz just opened shop near our office building and I knew exactly what we were having for lunch. "Like almost everyday."

Shamoon Ismail should just automatically start playing on Snapchat when you click the Welcome to Lahore filter. 'I see you move, see you kill it.' I think as I sing it. "It changes according to my mood & if you haven't guessed already I'm very moody these days." I eyed him animatedly, "I wonder who could be the reason for that?!?" 'You know you got me in my feelings.' Who wrote banger after banger & rose from the scratch? The unofficial Pindi boy mascot & my personal favorite Shamoon... 'I see you move, see you kill it'

He completely ignored my hint and said instead, "I really like black nail polish on a woman's hands."

"Ok, never wearing black. Check!" I pretended to make a mental note.

He laughed at that... "I like grey and white too."

"Never wearing those either."

"I hate reds."

"I want you to take a wild guess what color you'll be seeing on my hands from now on?" He choked back on his ice cream while laughing... 'Vekhdi ain rung like I do? Like I do' (Do you see the colors like I do? like I do?)

"We can't keep doing this you know. The calories... "

"Talk about yourself I'm ok with my diet of apples and oranges."

He smiled while saying, "Um... let's not forget about the bananas." and added, "you should be fined for public indecency for the way you eat a banana!"

"Sure buddy!" I said defensively, "you show me the proper way to eat a banana!..." He kept laughing. "Poor food gets a bad rep for looking like a dick." I shook my head. "but you're right you know, we've gotta cut back. Otherwise how will I get those abs?"

"I like girls with a little belly fat."

"Well in that case you'll find me on the bench press at the gym as of tomorrow." he laughs under his breath meanwhile I feel the mirthful glow of his mood travel across to me.

"Why is it that every time I come outside to refill my water bottle you're always applying that lip gloss?" he pointed to the one in my hand.

"My lips get really dry and it's a moisture retentive lip gloss."

"You could've just asked, I can always help you with that." He moves closer to my face. My arm smack to his response wasn't as effective when I found something so funny.

"I used to ask the office boy to fill up my water bottles you know but now I prefer refilling them myself just so I can look at a certain someone." I rolled my eyes at that — What a flirt.

"Oh really, I heard you tell someone you get bored sitting in a lonely office all day, especially since your colleague just resigned."

That made him serious, "How am I going to survive this place without Aiza... I can't stand being around men all the time. She's not even just a colleague at work. She's literally my best friend." he turned his face to look at me. "Good thing. You came at a good time — You're God sent."