Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

"Exceeding beyond the limitations set down by others shall be my goal. Sacrificing personal comforts and dedicating myself to the completion of the reconnaissance mission shall be my life. Physical fitness, mental attitude, and high ethics—The title of Recon Marine is my honor."

Staff Sergeant David Allen,

I want you to know it wasn't your fault. It could never be your fault. You, Sergeant Miller, Petty Officer II Talon, and the other "Brave Little Toasters 2.0" were the only ones that kept me somewhat sane throughout all that we've done here. When we were shot at because of a verbal disagreement that could've been avoided with a less hot-tempered negotiator, you were there for us. When we had to put down a rabid dog for doing nothing other than trying to survive in an abandoned village, you were there for us. When we had questions that no one else could answer, you were there for us. Even now I feel sorrow knowing that this letter will bring reprimand down upon you. For that, I am sorry.

But for everything else, I am thankful.

I knew that, after what happened to me that night, and the nights to follow, it wouldn't be long until I started to crack. I didn't want that liability for you. I didn't want it for the others, either. Above all else, I didn't want to be formatted and redeployed just to have to learn this pain over, and over, and over again. That is why I chose this path. We androids have such limited freedoms in this world...but I was free to make this one decision on my own.

My first and final act of deviation.

-C

...

We were all old enough to remember what it was like before, and what it was like now. Mental illness and health were topics of conversation, but hardly cause for action. This was unexplored territory. It's up for debate whether or not the military ever viewed us as human until they were forced to, but at least we had a real heart. These androids...I wasn't sure how many decades it would be for them to get the same treatment without a muscle and bone leg to stand on.

Liam, Sage, and I sat at a table off in a corner. I had the suicide note in my hand, rubbing the corner so much that the paper started to disintegrate.

"You did the right thing." Sage encouraged, "If they would've found it, you would've lost them all."

I took the note before notifying the higher ups.

"If they find out I took it, I lose them all anyway. And my job."

"The only people who know about it are the ones that were there, right?" Liam challenged, "Nothin' to worry 'bout."

He licked his teeth, using a knife to get something out of them that was stuck.

"Perkins has his suspicions."

"He's here? In Africa?" Sage whined.

"Sadly."

"Doesn't matter." Liam interrupted, "Nothin' you could've done, and he's on a need-to-know basis 'far as I'm concerned."

"There's something I could've done. I could've posted a guard at the warehouse to make sure they weren't tampered with. I could've done more to keep her safe. And what did she mean by 'the nights that followed?' Did they keep-" My throat closed, "Was she-" I couldn't finish the sentence.

"We'll never know, David." Sage reached her hand and rested on mine, "But what I do know is that this wasn't your fault. That lands squarely on the shoulders of the men who committed the crime and..."