Chapter 1 (Unedited)

This chapter is unedited. Please bear with me.

CHAPTER ONE

The minute I entered the sitting room with her tray of food, I knew I was in soup.
The way she was staring at me daring me to look at her in the eye and.......wait a minute, did she just blink repeatedly? I'm in real soup. O God what have I done.

"Dara", she said breaking my thoughts.

'Ma', I knew better than not to answer with a 'ma'.

What time did I say I wanted to have my dinner?'
'8:00 ma' I answered staring at my slippers as I dared not look at her.

'And what says the time?' she asked slightly raising her voice.

'I SPECIFICALLY TOLD YOU THIS MORNING THAT I WANTED TO HAVE MY FOOD BY 8. HOW CAN YOU BE SO HEARTLESS AND SELFISH! YOU KNOW HOW STRESSFUL GOING TO SHOP IS. ALL I ASK FROM YOU IS TO PREPARE DINNER. JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THE TIME YOU STUPID GIRL. IT'S ALREADY 8:07 YOU MORON.'

'I won't be wasting my saliva on you. Go and lock the door and on your way back, bring your friend'.
I gently placed the tray on the table, went to lock the door and brought my 'friend'.

'Will you touch your toes or I should tie you to the couch?' She asked collecting my 'friend' which happens to be a wire.

I touched my toes waiting for the first stroke. From the corner of my eyes, I could see her folding the wire making it studier.

Whip!
'Why am I beating you?'
'Because I prepared the food late ma'.

Whip! Whip!
Why again am I beating you?'
'Because I'm inconsiderate ma'.

Whip! Whip! Whip!
'Will you do it again?'
'No ma'
'Good'

Whipping continuously!

My eyes were red and teary. My hands were shaking on my toes but I dare not move them. After a while, she stopped hitting me. She was breathing heavily. She threw the wire on the floor and started eating.

To say I was sore would be an understatement. I got up, picked up my 'friend' and said 'Thank you ma' before leaving the sitting room.

If I haven't learnt anything in my seventeen years on earth, I learnt to say thank you after been punished.

I remembered what happened around five years ago. I think I was in J.S.S 3 at that time. I left for school only to discover that the President died that morning and a national mourning was held.

After hearing the news, I made a terrible mistake. Instead of going back home as there was no school, I stayed behind watching my colleagues playing. I got home around 2pm. My mom was over annoyed. She was pacing up and down and my dad was sitting on the couch. He seems deep in thought.

Immediately I stepped into the house, I was bombarded with questions from my mom.

'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? I CALLED YOUR PRINCIPAL AND HE SAID THE SCHOOL HAS BEEN DISMISSED SINCE 10 AM! WHAT ON EARTH WERE YOU DOING FOR FOUR HOURS? YOU KNOW WHAT, DON'T TELL ME! BY THE TIME I FINISH WITH YOU, YOU WILL KNOW WHERE YOU WENT'

Normally, dad would have calmed my mom but not in this case. My dad believed that women should not go to school. The only place they need to be familiar with and be educated on is the kitchen as we would end up there as soon as we are married.

Mom said she was giving me 50 lashes and my dad gave me 20.

I wasn't good at bearing pain at that time, so I was tied to a chair. After the beating, I turned to leave, crying profusely. Mom called my back telling me I had forgotten something. I was confused. She said she will continue beating me until I remembered.
After hitting me repeatedly, she said 'Anytime I beat you, always thank me. Do you understand?'

'Yeees ma. Th..ank you ma.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know its short and boring but please bear with me

Yippee! I did it.
This s my very first time I tried writing. I hope I did good.

COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT!

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!