Untitled Part 3

This chapter is unedited. Please bear with me.

CHAPTER 3

I sat on the couch watching the news. This was one of the moments I loved most. No one was at home. Mom had gone for a wedding ceremony with the others except me. And I loved it because I hated been the odd man out or been the eye of the crowd and with the type of clothes I wore, it was totally impossible. 

'Here's the news at seven. First the highlights; Ten people defected to PDP in a day. Twenty billion naira was found in Gov. Peter Akinwummi's residence. A woman in gave birth to an armless child in Benue state. A fire outbreak occurred at new Gbagi market last night. UTME form is out and it's said to be #4,500... 

That was the last thing I heard. Jamb form is out? How come I don't know? 'That's what happens when you stay home 24/7'. My inner voice told me. 

I went to my room, lifted up my bed, and removed #5,000 from the money I've been saving, well, stealing and went out.

Good thing no one was home!

 ............................................................................................................................

I was busy filling my form when someone came to me. 

'Excuse me, do you have an extra pen?' she asked glancing at my form. 

'Yes, I do have one. Here is it'. I said handling her a pen. She collected the pen and sat beside me. 

'You are also applying to UI (University of Ibadan)? Well so am I. Wow, we are also applying for the same course! We should be friends! I'm Tayo. Tell me your name, where you live and your phone number!' Tayo said at once. 

'My name is Dara and I don't have a phone' 

'How come!' She exclaimed. 'I'm guessing you don't want to tell me where you live. Well I live at Oluyole Estate. If you ever want to call me, here's my number'. She said sounding somehow dejected and she handed me a small sheet of paper. 

'08126345476. You had better call me'. The note said. 

'Well I have to go. My brother has been calling me repeatedly. Bye'. She said cheerfully as she got up. 

I stared back at my form not sure who to write at the space left for next of kin. At the end, I wrote my mom's name and number praying that there should be no cause to call her. I submitted the form and went back home.  

As soon as I got home, I prepared food-asaro (mashed yam) with vegetables after which I brought out my old notes and started reading. When the others came back, they was very tired which I was thankful of. They ate and went to bed. 

........................................................................................................................................................... 

The last few days has been in my favour.Mom has been preparing for her cousin's father-in-law's burial. As a matter of fact, she's travelling to Enugu (her home town) today. The best part is that she would be gone for three weeks! 

I was at the cyber café again. I went to collect my examination slip. On my way out, I met Tayo and another guy coming in. 

'Na wa for you o. I thought you were going to call me' Tayo stated. She looks mad but I'm sure she's not. Her next sentence confirmed it. 

'Anyways, your punishment for not calling me is to call me' She said laughing. 

'That doesn't make any sense'. The other boy said. 

'Shut up Dayo, no one asked for your opinion'. She said glaring at him. 'Dara, this is my "I am smart" twin brother Dayo and Dayo, this is my new bestie Dara' she said introducing us. 

'So, what lesson are you attending'? she asked me. 

'None' I said. 'I study alone' 

'Are you that brilliant' Dayo asked 

'Even if she's Einstein she has go to lesson. Come, along our lesson is just down the street' Tayo said. 

As mom had travelled and I have nothing to do, I followed them. The lesson turned out to be great. The teachers were extraordinary. The three of us were in the same class as we were going for the same course- Accounting. 

Later on, the master of the lesson came along asking for his fees. He said the fees is #4000 monthly. I asked if I could pay for two weeks, he said yes.

I've started warming up to the twins especially to Dsyo as we study together. Right now, we are in the middle of solving a mathematics question. 

'are you that tired?' He asked. 

'hm? No not at all. My mind was elsewhere. Sorry' I said truly sorry. 

'I'm just joking but I think we should call it a day. We've been studying for about nine hours' He said. 

I couldn't believe it. In my mind, we've been studying for maybe two hours. Today is good Friday, a public holiday but the master of the lesson said we could come to study. I and dayo planned to come. Some people also came. But after an hour, most people left the books for other things. Not that I'm judging them or anything. I believe our abilities to read is quite different. I came around 7am and its now 4:15pm. I got up stretching my bones. 

Tayo came rushing in with a polythene bag. She handed it to me and said 'Happy Birthday'. O God! I had forgotten that today is my birthday. 'Thanks a lot Dara. It means a lot to me'. 

'No problem'. 

'So it's your birthday and you didn't inform me. Are you avoiding my "gift"? Dayo asked walking round me. 

My eyes widen in realization as I remembered the gift he was talking about. I sent a glare to Tayo though it's not her fault. She mouthed the word 'sorry'. I was about to say something but before I opened my mouth, he dragged me out saying ' I hope you are not wearing transparent clothes 'cause I don't want to go blind'. 

When we got to the field, he shouted to the other boys, 'IT'S HER BIRTHDAY'. The boys were happy and were saying things like 'o yeah', 'about time', 'she's so getting it'. Then a boy said 'let's leave her alone' and they all turned to leave even Dayo had gone. 

I started walking away thanking my stars when the first sachet water hit me. These little rats tricked me! They all poured water on me while singing 'happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.........' in horrible voices. I was dripping wet but not cold.

When I got home, I met no one which is not strange. Dad isn't coming back till 11 and Jay Jay is out with his friends and he won't be back till 8. I prepared dinner, ate, and went to my room. I opened the bag Tayo gave me and I was ecstatic. It was a phone, my very first phone. I saw she had stored her number and her brothers on it. 

I lay on the bed smiling as I remembered what happened today but it faded as I remember that today is my last day in lesson and that mom would be coming back tomorrow. I set the phone to silent, took the bag and the packet of the phone, went outside and burnt it. I couldn't risk keeping it. Mom likes snooping and I can't afford her seeing it.

...............................................................................................................................................................

I did it again. I should have updated sooner but I've been really busy these days. I know it's no excuse but bear with me. I try to update sooner. 

Anyways, VOTE! VOTE! VOTE! and 

COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT! It means a whole lot to me.