18: What Is and Isn't

"What do you have to say in your defense, Mr. Holger?" Clarice asked and Michael groaned exasperatedly. It had been hours since the ancient vampire had arrived at the station and that was all the mortal woman badgered him with.

The station's interrogation room was exactly like Michael had thought it would be: plain, white, and empty except for the table which he and Clarice now occupied.

It had to be said that the room's appearance was no accident. It was actually a strategy that the cops used to make the interrogated suspects feel disconnected, like they were all alone in world and the only way to feel that human connection again was to supply the authorities with the truth they needed.

But that didn't work on Michael; it never could. The ancient vampire was much too advanced and experienced for whatever petty tricks the mortals could ever think to use on him.

Unfortunately, that didn't mean that he was feeling any more relaxed in the interrogation room than a regular criminal either; the infuriating slim brunette woman in front of him certainly made sure of that. 

Clarice was in her prosecutor mood. She had a case, a cause, and a connection that desperately needed to be made. All that was required of her was to get the truth out from the one person whom everything was presently pointing at: Michael Holger.

However, Michael wasn't making that task at all easy. He refused to answer her questions. He didn't even give them any acknowledgement; and to make matters worse, her heart was beating like a million times per second and every hair on her body standing on end like she was in danger. All because he wouldn't stop looking at her with those unsettling crystal grey eyes of his.

Forging ahead despite those though, Clarice asked again for the umpteenth time that day, "Mr. Holger, what do you have to say in regards to the murders you're a suspect of?"

"What else do you expect me to say, Miss White?" Michael returned, surprising Clarice that he actually did this time. "I had nothing to do with them."

"But a body was found on your doorstep this morning," she said.

"I have no idea how it got there," he returned once again.

Sensing a change in the atmosphere, Clarice pressed her advantage. "Do you know Penelope Bryton?" she asked.

"No."

"What about Madison Hayes?"

"Who?"

"The second victim, Madison." She pushed a picture of the murdered teenager out towards him. "Do you know her?"

Michael took one glance at the picture, then at Clarice. Then out of nowhere, he burst into a huge laughter. It wasn't the friendly sort of laugh, or even an unfriendly one for that matter. It was just strange, filled with so much eerie energy that Clarice felt her heart shrivel and drop to the pit of her stomach at its sound.

"What's so funny?" she managed to get out above the horror that was Michael's laughter.

"You," he replied. "All this while I hadn't seen it. This absurd interrogation, it's all about Festningen, isn't it?"

"All due respect, Mr. Holger, one thing has nothing to do with the other." Clarice looked genuinely offended.

"Does it really, Clarice?" Michael returned. "I mean, it would be the perfect excuse to challenge me for the castle again."

"Two people are dead, Michael! How can you think I would ever take advantage of that?"

"And how can you believe I would kill someone and then leave the body lying on my property? Is that how dumb you think I am?!" He slammed the table with his fist in fury and she jumped back. His face had turned extremely pale and his eyes took on a crimson hue; and she saw it.