Your Forever Friend (cont'd)

"She even made him apologize. Now he's stuck in the room with Ms. Brown doing a writing assignment. But enough of that. Tell me the news, Benjamin Warren. I've been waiting all morning."
Ben sighed. Last night his parents told him that he's going to be a big brother. He's seen on tv how parents neglect the old sibling for the new baby. He was not excited about it at all.
"So, yesterday my mom and dad told me that they're having a new baby."
"Oh, you're going to be a big brother! How exciting!"
Miranda said, but when she looked Ben in the eyes she didn't see excitement. Ben shrugged his shoulders.
"Ben Warren, you don't seem too happy about getting a sibling. Why?"
Ben looked at his friend and started playing the blades of grass under them.
"Well, for one, my mom and dad not gonna have time for me anymore. What if they can't come to my football games because of the baby?"
Miranda looked at her friend.
      "Ben that's ridiculous, they love seeing you play. And besides even though football is silly. I'll always be there."
Ben shrugged. They didn't have to say it fully, but he knew what it meant. This was only halfway true, the conversation when like this:
"Benjamin Warren it's time for dinner! Go wash up, please."
His Mother called from down the hall. Ben had just made it in the house after riding bikes with Miranda. He washed his hands in the bathroom and made his way in the the kitchen where his parents were. He noticed his Mom cooked his favorite meal. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy. It wasn't his birthday, was it? Had Miranda kept him so busy with practicing for their presentations that he forgot his own birthday? No it couldn't be. Miranda didn't have her birthday yet, and he was born 2 months after her. He should know, she never lets him forget it. So what was so special about tonight? He wondered. He sat down with his parents at the kitchen table. They said grace and began eating. Dinner was mostly quiet, there would be a question here and there about each other's day. Other than that all you heard was the clanging of their forks against the plates. Finally, his parents said something.
"Benjamin, your mother and I have something to share with you."
His father started.
"You're going to be a big brother! Are you excited?"
His mother asked. Ben looked between both his mother and father in confusion.
"Wait...you're having a baby?"
Ben took a minute to let it settle in. He knew what this meant, he was being replaced. He thought he had been a good kid. He hardly got in trouble, he kept his room clean, helped his dad mow the lawn and he was good in school. His eyes started to water. Where was he going to sleep? The baby needed go somewhere. Was the baby going to take his room? Ben felt dizzy with sadness and confusion. A single tear slide down his face and more followed that one.
"Ben, buddy. What's the matter? Talk to us. Why are you crying?"
His dad asked concerned. He sniffed.
"Did I do something wrong? I promise to eat my vegetables more! You don't need a new baby because I'm right here!"
Angela waddled over to Ben and squatted down as far as she could.
"Benjamin Warren, you did nothing wrong. Mommy and Daddy love you very much."
She placed her hands on his cheeks to make him look at her.
"We thought you needed someone to play with and share things with. We're not in anyway replacing you. You will ALWAYS be my baby. Do you understand me?"
She wiped his tears and Ben nodded.
In Ben's 9 year old logic, his parents would never have time for him anymore. Babies cry all time and need a lot of attention. He learned this the hard way, by spending the night at his cousin's house with their new baby. Miranda listened to Ben, though she didn't quite understand what he was so worried about. She wishes she had someone to play and share things with. Even though she has Ben, it's not the same like having a sister.
       "Ben, think about it this way. You'll have a built in best friend. Someone you can play with all day, everyday. You can even teach them all the stuff, I don't want to learn about, like silly football. And look on the bright side, you'll finally be older than someone."
She laughed and nudged his side. Ben thought about it. Miranda was terrible at throwing and catching a football. Maybe he can teach the new baby how to catch.
       "Yeah, maybe you're right."
Ben started. Miranda laughed and said matter-of-factly
       "I'm always right Benjamin Warren, and don't you ever forget it. Besides, you'll always have me, we're best friends."
The two friends continued to talking until the end of recess.