𝟎𝟐. 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐄𝐓 𝐔𝐍𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐃

(02 : WHOSE DEATHS

(02 : WHOSE DEATHS . . .
ARE YET UNAVENGED)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR the Gryffindor red blanket that was draped over her small frame and the lingering tear stains on her cheeks, Juliet might've thought she dreamed Sirius' return. Her mind was still hazy as she pushed up from the couch — which she could only assume her friend had carried her to at some point — and padded towards the kitchen, bleary-eyed and messy-haired. In the distance, she could hear the sound of empty cupboard doors slamming shut and the obnoxious humming of the muggle rock song 'Back in Black.'

     Pausing at the entrance, Juliet failed to stifle her laughter as convicted criminal and highly wanted fugitive, Sirius Black, danced around the kitchen. "Careful you don't break a hip there, Black. We're not nearly as young as we used to be."

     "Speak for yourself," remarked the man, his roguish grin not faltering despite being caught in such a humiliating position. "There's no food, by the way. I was going to attempt breakfast, but I didn't think venturing out was worth the risk."

"Probably smart," she muttered as she snatched two glasses from a nearby shelf and used a quick 'aguamenti' to fill them with water. "If you're staying here, I'll make sure to keep the pantry stocked from now on. You shouldn't be going out at all. And I mean it, Sirius. Do not be seen until we have found a way to clear your name." Juliet rubbed her temples, struggling to think clearly. "I'd offer to let you stay with me, but there's too many people who come in and out of the manor these days. Not to mention the Ministry has already interrogated Reg on your whereabouts. No doubt they'll be suspicious of me too."

The tension in the room was nearly suffocating. "You don't have to worry your pretty little head about that, I wasn't planning to stick around much longer." His teasing words sounded oddly quiet for someone so loud. There was a beat of silence and then his unusually small voice cracked as asked, "You still see him then? My brother? And he's, uh, alright?"

     "Kind of hard to escape him," she mentioned lightly. "After — after that night, we founded Mantua. It's a home for children like us, runaway purebloods and anyone else who might be in need of an escape. He seems happy enough there. A little lonely maybe. Our friendship is a long and complicated one, he'll always have me, but sometimes I don't know if I'm enough. Most of his friends from Hogwarts aren't exactly the type of company he strives to keep these days."

      "Romeo and Juliet." Sirius' mouth quirked upwards in recognition. "Romeo is exiled to Mantua. Clever. Does my brother know the meaning behind the name?"

     Regarding the man with a newfound caution, she challenged, "And since when were you familiar with muggle literature? The only time I ever saw you pick up a book was to throw it at someone."