JULIET'S BOGGART (POA)

CONTEXT: Juliet is a teaching assistant for DADA throughout PoA.

     Juliet once wondered how people like James and Sirius were so utterly fearless in the face of danger — then she looked Lord Voldemort in the eyes as he held a wand to her head and she stopped wondering. It was in that moment she realised nobody was ever truly fearless but instead fought in spite of the fears because someone needed to. At twenty one, she had believed James Potter was worth going to war for, and so she fought with shaky hands and a shattered heart, her own fears being as formidable a foe as the tyrant before her.

     Although the feeling was more subdued now, she briefly contemplated if her courage died with James because she was no less scared at thirty three than she was then. But it wasn't like any of the students could tell. To them, she was the picture of ease, spinning her wand between her fingers with the cockiness of a Marauder as she eyed the bouncing wardrobe with feigned disinterest.

     Poor Neville Longbottom appeared as white as a sheet, rather looking like he was heading for the gallows, when he was the first called upon to battle the boggart. Thus, Juliet promptly made up her mind because she knew how hard it was to be brave, how hard it was to feel like an imposter amongst lions. Of course she had faith that Neville would one day find the same reckless bravery she did when confronted with Voldemort. Until that day, he was still a boy — a boy who was thirteen and terrified.

     "Perhaps we should give them an example first, Professor?" Juliet called out, hopping down from where she was perched on a staff room desk. "It might not seem as daunting then. We both know that they've been severely disadvantaged with their previous professors for this class."

     Remus was startled by the interruption. In truth, he hadn't expected Juliet to actually engage with the class. Although she was well-versed in the subject, both of them knew her request to be a teaching assistant for the year was rife with ulterior motives. Nonetheless, he nodded, trying to mask his shock as he cleared throat and said, "An excellent suggestion indeed, Miss Fawley. I suppose I could —"

     "If I may," she hedged, gently pushing the man out of the boggart's anticipated path, "I think I would be better suited to show them."

     Somehow, the air became heavier as the two friends found themselves at a stalemate. They shared an entire conversation with their eyes alone — something they had become quite adept at over the years — before Remus sighed, momentarily pulling her away from the inquisitive stares of Third Years. His wrinkles seemed more defined as he looked on at her like she was one of his students, muttering her name in an unmistakable tone of warning.

     Juliet shook her head at him. "Oh, would you stop being so bloody noble? It has to be me because we both know what your boggart will turn into and we both know some of these kids are smart enough to figure out what it means."

     Whilst this fact was indisputable, Remus was quick to come up with a counter argument. "But when was the last time you even encountered a boggart? Ours fears aren't like theirs. Ours are dark. Too dark. All whilst they'll have spiders and snakes that they can turn into . . . clowns and confetti!"

     "And to them, those fears are very real and are as valid as mine or yours!" she returned with a hiss. "These kids aren't going to war. They don't need to be thrown into the deep end like we were. Now, open the wardrobe. I can handle seeing Arin again if it means they feel a little more secure in what you're asking of them."

     Remus exhaled, then instructed the students to move to the back before allowing the old wardrobe to burst open with a wary flick of his wand.

     Almost immediately silence enveloped the room. From his place next to Ron, Harry looked on, unsure what someone like Juliet could be afraid of — what with her sharp tongue and fiery demeanour. In the short time that he had known her, he figured she was a force to be reckoned with. Especially after seeing how she iced Regulus out with such causality. It was like nothing could faze her. Nothing except . . . Draco Malfoy? He squinted, questioning if he needed new glasses. But no — on closer inspection — it wasn't Draco at all. It was Lucius.

     In robes of spun silver, Lucius Malfoy sauntered out, his ice cold eyes freezing Juliet in place. Suddenly she was sixteen again.

     Juliet couldn't breathe. It was meant to be Arin. It used to be him. And if it wasn't him, it should've been her inferius mother, or Lord Voldemort, or even James. Any one of those would have been better than Lucius. But none of those other things haunted her like he did.

     Boggart-Lucius lifted a hand to her cheek. It was colder than death and caused her to shiver.

     Whilst there was no silencing spell on her this time, it still felt like it. "R—r—rid—!"

     From over the boggart's shoulder, she locked eyes with a confused Remus. A single tear slid down her cheek because she couldn't think of how the situation could possibly become funny. Fear held her heart in a vice-like grip as she became keenly aware of all the wide eyes watching her. And even worse, one pair of those wide eyes were identical to the predatory pair in front of her.

     Just as Lucius went to open his mouth, Remus intercepted the scene. Crack. A white orb hung in the air before the man, who exclaimed, "Riddikulus!" almost lazily before placing a steadying hand on the redhead's shoulder.

     Juliet flinched at his touch, her face as red as her hair. "I'm sorry. I didn't think —"

     "It's fine. You're fine." Remus was quick to blurt out his reassurances. "It wasn't real."

     Her voice was hardly a whisper. "But it was."