Chapter 4

Y/N'S P.O.V

As we walked onto the skiff I saw Alina looking around. As she stared around in amazement she bumped into Mal with me right behind her.

"What the hell are you two doing here?" Mal asked us with anger.

"We've been assigned with you." I answered

"No. Turn around right now both of you." Mal told us

"Orders are orders." I said as I used his own words against him.

"I could shoot you two in the foot." Mal said

"We happen to like our feet, thank you." I said as we walked past him.

"Tell them you are too sick to go." said Mal

"We are never that." Alina told him

"Lie if you have to." He said

"And what's your lie? We're with you." Alina said

"Get off this boat now, or I will carry you both." he said

"Too late." I said as they raised the gate.

"We'll make, promise." Alina said

"Here's how it goes. We go into the fold, it gets dark, but we like it dark. That keeps us from drawing attention. That's how we travel. The only light we use is the blue light at the mast. It's weak but safe." A Inferni told us

"But you're an Inerni right? Why are you here if we're supposed to keep things dark?" Raisa asked her.

"For when the dark comes to keep you." She answered Raisa

"Where's your general? Kirigan?" I heard Mal asked the Inferni

"That's our cue." She said ignoring Mal's question

"Right, listen to me,cartographers. Until we meet the western dry docks, you are to remain at your station. Do not, I repeat do not leave the skiff during the crossing." Sergeant Yure said to the cartographers.

As when got nearer to the fold the wind picked up and blue our mother scarfs from Alina's and I's neck as we tried to reach for them they blew out of our grasps. As we entered the fold Alina held her breathe while, I stared into the distant with a straight face as I prepared for the worst. When we had completely entered the fold it was dark and misty, I heard the thunder rumbling and heard growling in the distant it was eerie silent. We had just past one destroyed skiff.

"Maker one." The Inferni said from behind me

"How many more are there?" Alina asked her

"37." She replied as she walked away.

Just as soon as she had walked away we heard growling, screeching and wings flapping from above us. We all looked up and around in fear, Raisa locked eyes with Alina and I with one emotion and one alone fear. Everyone except the Grisha and First Army dropped to the floor as they First Army cocked their guns and the Grisha readied their powers. Just then the light at the mast went out the Inferni tried to get it back on but she couldn't. After it the light went out one of the First Army lit a lantern as the Inferni tried telling him to blow it out, but it was too late. As a volcra came up behind him and snatched him up, making him drop the lantern next us making a fire start. After that all hell broke lose, while I just hung on to Alina trying to keep her safe while keeping and eye on Mal.

"Alexei, No!!" Alina shouted as Alexei threw himself off the skiff.

Just then a volcra picked up Mal, he screamed as he reached for his knife as Alina and I crawled for two rifles that were lying around and we shot at volcra making it drop Mal. When the volcra dropped Mal. Alina and I ran up to him.