If You Let Me

"You're seeing jet black, perfectly clouding the view.

Your mind's a soundtrack; it's always singing the blues.

But I see big dreams dancing around in your head.

I'm right here dancing with you."

- "If You Let Me," Seaway (2020)

Lillian

When I blurted out a Thanksgiving invitation to Alex and then Jordan, both my parents and I came up with a million different ways that this could go wrong. After spending the first half of the week breathing each other's air in Malibu, the twins could butt heads with my parents, my extended family, or (most plausibly) each other. But, in an incredibly lucky break, none of that happened today.

"You know he has the world's fattest crush on you, right?"

I tip my head at Alex and the happy cat that's been using him as a couch all evening. While the rest of my family has been more low-key about their magnetism toward Alex, Sid has been on his shoulders, in his lap, or mewing for his attention since we moved to the living room.

"What, are you jealous?" Alex winks a brilliant amber eye at me, lifting the cat into his arms and scratching him between his ears. "Tell your mamita that there's plenty of me to go around, Sid."

Sid gives a quiet "mek mek" through his purrs, and, victorious, Alex turns his head to smirk at me.

"Get over yourself—I'm jealous because my cat is cheating on me," I shoot back, even though my heart swells exponentially at the sight. "He just likes you because you're warm and you...give good pets."

"That's why you like me, too. It's no secret that I have skilled hands." Alex's tiny smirk quickly evolves into a devilish smile. "I mean...I of all people should know how to rub a—"

"Shut up."

Jordan and I express the same line of dissent at the exact same time, and Alex rolls his eyes.

"God. You two are no fun."

"Yeah...I think that's my cue to leave." Jordan sighs from the other side of the linen sofa before shooting a glance at Alex. "Are you ready to go back to the hotel?"

"No?" Alex answers, clearly gearing up for a fight, but Jordan backs down without one.

"Okay. But the driver's here, so...get Lily to take you back." He looks out of the front window, and, as if on cue, their black Benz pulls up. "I don't think you'll have a problem with that, will you?"

Both of us just stare at him, perplexed by the lack of real malice in his tone, and he scoffs.

"Yeah, I didn't think so. Good night."

"Good night," I echo as he leaves, quickly turning around to watch him.

He gives cordial but detached goodbyes to my Granny, aunts, and uncles, and Mom and Dad appear from the kitchen as soon as he passes it. He freezes in place, obviously considering his next move, before offering them a formal hand to shake. My parents make eye contact for a moment, then scooping him into a three-person hug that makes him tense in visceral repulsion.

When they finally let go, Jordan steps back, covers what are obviously red cheeks, and just...leaves. Mom glances at Dad as a question, and he just nods at her before they make their way outside.

I'm not sure what Dad said to him earlier, but it clearly had Jordan reeling for the rest of the evening. He's been strange today: a bit dazed and unusually sweet to everyone. But I think that's a good thing—a sign that we're finally chipping away at his shield of adamant. And, when Alex has been so busy being a vortex of charm, I doubt he even noticed the decade of lore playing out in the background.