Chapter 14

Disclaimer: I do not own in any way, shape, or form, KHR.

Author's Note: Just a nibblet today, because I have exams in 5 days and no time to write! :( I'll come back to this chapter later next week to meet my quota and finish it up, but for now, this is it. But be happy! After next week, I'll have all the time in the world! Which means both longer and (maybe) more frequent updates! And of course, the character upheaval. Haha, that is not going to be fun.

OoO

G woke up aching in a way that he hadn't felt in a long time. Sore all over, with each body part feeling as if it weighed ten pounds more. His joints were stiff and his muscles were about as strong as a newborn colt. He pushed himself off of his stomach with great effort, but he immediately flopped over to his back, trembling from exertion. This was an extreme case of flame exhaustion, G knew. But it still itched at his nerves to find himself so defenseless. Anyone could try to kill him and he wouldn't be able to lift a finger to stop them.

He stared up at the blue sky, thinking. The events of the last few hours flashed though his mind, scattering themselves in all directions. He blinked long and hard.

Did the prisoner... Help us?

Giotto had sustained no injury, and G knew that the suspicious man was more than capable of inflicting them. There was no sign of fighting back, no sign of even panicking and trying to harm Giotto. It was peculiar, but G was pleased with the conclusion all the same.

With great difficulty, he leaned up onto his elbows and surveyed the scene. The others were still unconscious, but were obviously close to stirring, based upon the slight twitching of their muscles. Giotto and Lambo remained immersed in oblivion, as expected. Their boss had an even more critical case of Flame exhaustion and Lambo had sustained several hits.

As the right hand man, it was his duty to make sure everything ran smoothly in their boss' absence. So he prioritized.

First of all, he needed to scour the base for any remaining enemies, then summon the servants. He needed to get Lampo and Lambo medical attention. Finally, he needed to figure out where the hell Daemon was. And bring him back. He was the only one of the Guardians who had enough Flames to even begin to fight against Vongola's enemies.

As for the rest of them and Lambo, they needed at least a few days of bedrest and steady meals, with at least 10 hours of sleep per day. G scowled at the thought. His normal sleep schedule was half of that; it would be hard adjusting. But he needed it if he were to be of any use to Giotto anytime soon.

G forced himself to stand, hissing in pain as the muscles in his trembling legs stretched out. He made his legs walk over to a nearby tree, shouting in a voice that was much hoarser than he expected.

"Oi! Come get the others! Bring them to the infirmary and make sure they stay there. I'll be searching the grounds for any stragglers." He instructed. "And for God's sake, find out where Daemon is!" The guards scrambled out of their hiding places and walked over to the Guardians. It was no easy task to carry the group without them noticing. Out of sheer instinct, they would try to strike a blow against whoever was carrying them, and continue fighting until they were cognitive enough to recognize friend or foe.

As the guards cautiously approached the group of unconscious men, G tried to ignore his irritation. It wasn't the guards' fault that they weren't to come out unless ordered to. The mantra repeated in his head, but the wrath whirling in his stomach refused to back down. He could imagine what Asari would say in this situation.

G, calm down. The guards are to follow orders from Giotto first. And you are well aware that he ordered them, after the first attack on the base, not to come out unless he or one of the Guardians ordered it. Besides, you could not expect them to, what is the phrase, poke the sleeping bears?

He cracked his neck and reached into his pocket for a cigarette, his emotions calmed but his fingers itching for something to do. He found a stick, but grimaced when he realised he didn't have a match. Nevertheless, he stuck it in his mouth; if he couldn't have the full package, he could at least have a part. Leaning against the tree, he eyed the distance between him and the mansion with distaste. It was about 20 feet away, which was usually nothing, but it seemed impossible in his current state of weakness.

He searched the forest floors for a steady stick, but found nothing. His grimace deepened, his brain realising that he would have nothing but the trees for a crutch. He spat out the cigarette and gnashed his teeth, then leaned heavily into the tree with one arm. He hobbled the short distance between that tree and the next, making slow and painful progress to the mansion. Damn it, he wouldn't give up!

Once he made it to the columns, he was sweating buckets and his knees were about to give out on him. He plopped down on the mansion steps, unable to go any further. As hard as he tried to force his body to move, it just didn't cooperate.

Then he heard the door open, and a set of familiar footsteps trailed out of it, stopping just behind him. G tensed, just a bit, at someone directly at his weak spot.

"G. I'm surprised to see you awake," Daemon murmured, a tint of amusement coloring his voice. "Now you can tell me why, exactly, I arrived at the mansion to find you all unconscious and a bloody massacre around you." He then elegantly seated himself beside the weak Storm.

G opened his mouth. And closed it. He tapped his fingers against his thigh and put his thoughts in a somewhat orderly semblance. Then he told Daemon. About his suspicions, about Giotto going into Double Will Mode, and Lambo, who apparently had Lightning Flames and the skill to use them well. They sat in silence for a while, G trying to catch his breath after the surprisingly tiring speech and Daemon processing it all.

Daemon gave up and stood, deciding the thinkning session was best suited during a time alone. "I trust you've already sent the guards to pick up the others?"

"Yeah."