Drowning

A/N: Second last chapter. Somewhat kinda maybe possibly vent chapter.

There wasn't much interaction after Zoe told Madison she forgave her. The only thing Zoe said next was that she was going to pick her up tomorrow for school. Madison was happy to know her best friend forgave her but was a little suspicious as to why. Maybe she just needed space to think about it, or maybe she still isn't over it.

Before Madison could get picked up, her mom offered to drive her. She knew that Madison had been walking to school ever since the fight. "I can drop you off on my way to work."

Madison grabbed her bag and headed towards the door with a smile. "Zoe's dropping me off."

Her mom looked shocked and stepped in front of the door before Madison could leave. "She forgave you?!" she asked, sounding amazed since her daughter broke the ultimate girl code: Never sleep with your best friend's ex.

Madison nodded silently and went to grab the door handle, but her mom spoke up again. "Well, if she tries to kill you in the car, jump out of the window," she advised.

That's reassuring, Madison thought. She was already wary of whether Zoe forgave her but brushed it off since there's no way she would try and kill her.

"Thanks," Madison replied. Her mom looked back at her daughter as if this was the last time they'd see each other again. (She was quite convinced that Madison was going to get murdered by Zoe.)

With that, Madison left and walked towards the car that was already waiting for her. Nervously, she opened the door and was welcomed by Zoe and...Kyle? Well, of course, she forgave Kyle, but what was he doing in the car?

Madison hopped in the front seat, and Zoe drove off. Strangely enough, Zoe was smiling and looked like she was in a good mood, which was odd considering Madison slept with her ex-boyfriend, who was now sitting in the seat behind her.

To clear things up, Madson asked, "Are you sure you're okay?"

Zoe's smile only grew wider, which made Madison think maybe she is trying to kill her. Maybe that's why Kyle is here, too.

"I told you, I forgive you both," she said, happy as ever and gave them each reassuring looks while at a red light.

Kyle nodded slowly. His thoughts were the same as Madison's: This was weird and not normal.

"Are you sure?" Madison asked again. She had a big feeling that Zoe was going to crack at any moment and finally lash out at them both.

Zoe's facial expression remained the same, and her voice was as normal as ever. "I'm over it."

Soon, they arrived at school, and Madison got out as quickly as she could. She waited for Zoe to walk into the building before stopping Kyle and pulling him aside.

"That was weird," he remarked.

"Agreed, she's not over it," Madison replied. She had to get to the bottom of this. If Zoe was holding off her real feelings, who knows what's going to happen when it explodes? And it was weird that Zoe forgave them a few days later without reason.

"You should invite her over to your place; maybe talk about it?" Kyle suggested, and for once, it was a good idea.

Madison pulled out her phone and texted Zoe to invite her over after school. Right away, she got a reply.

Zoe Benson [9:32 am]

Sure :)

Madison shuddered at the tone she texted in. A large part of her wanted to just move on and go with the fact that she was forgiven, but the other part knew there was something deeper. She needed the truth.