V&E: Experience

Crack!

The axe bit into the tree with finality and Fenrin stepped back, kicking the trunk until it fell away from him with a chorus of breaking branches. Finishing this tree would top their wood storage enough for the coming cold months.

He was so engrossed in the work, he didn't notice Echa sit down on a stump and watch him. He was twisting a particularly stubborn branch when he met her eyes.

"Echa? What are you doing here?"

The woman stood, her long thin black hair rising a bit in the cold morning static. She planted her feet and looked him in the eyes. "I know about Vai."

Fenrin whistled. "Is Tryst alive?"

"Is Vai?"

Her serious gaze made Fenrin start, hurt and rage breaking his peaceful state.

"Of course," he growled.

Her mouth opened in a little 'oh' and then she said softly, "That's not what I meant, I'm sorry. It's not you I'm worried about."

Fenrin tossed the axe with a bit more force than intended until it buried itself in the tree trunk before wiped his hands on his pants.

"You lost me."

Echa sighed. "How is he? Vai, I mean. It can't be easy for either of you."

Raising an eyebrow, Fenrin sat on the felled tree. "He's alright, I guess. Honestly, I'm surprised you're so calm—thought you'd be furious."

"Oh, I am," she said sharply, "but the one's who deserve my fury are far away or long gone. Now, there's only those who deserve my pity or my help."

"Vai won't want either. He's not like you or Anwen. He's frustratingly devoted to Lyra and gets down right offended by any attempts to treat him like a person."

"Do it anyway," Echa spat but then raised a hand to her face. "I'm sorry, again, I am angry, but I shouldn't take it out of you. I'm...worried he won't last out here."

Fenrin nodded, starting to understand. "It's certainly not where he wants to be. But it's a good life, surely he'll see that eventually."

Echa didn't respond and Fenrin blurted, "He did seem off this morning. Found him alone outside just staring. Been there myself but didn't expect it from him, he's usually quite the busybody."

Her pale fingers sat on her lips as she thought and Fenrin added, "I've tried to be friendly, really, but we've got a history and I don't want to any sparks hittin' Fiona."

"I am sure you are doing everything you can, Fenrin," Echa said, her fingers falling to reveal a soft smile that warmed Fenrin's frightened heart. "But, if I'm right, it won't be enough. He's totally alone and that's not something someone can survive."

"You sound like Matias. He's been trying to find someway for Vai to connect as well."

Echa gave Fenrin an amused grin. "We both know his heart's a bit too pure to see the problem."

Laughing, Fenrin agreed, "You're right. So, you're taking up the job? I'll admit I'm surprised you want anything to do with it."

"We all have our specialties." Echa wrapped her cloak around herself.

"Right," Fenrin stood up, "want me to send him your way? I'd appreciate it if you met with him alone somewhere Fiona won't be."

Sighing, Echa nodded. "I suppose there's no time like the present."

"Just remember he's jumpy as hell and would rather die than change who he is. He's very proud."

Once he was sure she understood, Fenrin went back to his home as Echa waited, sitting once more on the tree stump.

A man born a slave. Proud of it. It made her sick, but she carefully scolded that thought. Vai was a victim and she would not punish him for his circumstance—would not cast judgment on his choices. But he needed to come to terms with his humanity or he wouldn't survive.