Characters

So, let's talk about the characters.

*****

First, it depends if you're using already existing characters, like I'm usually doing, or if you're creating your own characters.

You of course need your main character. You can have several main characters, but it's better not to have too many as to not confuse or overwhelm your readers. I usually have two main characters in my stories, that is Izuku and Katsuki.

They need to have their own personality and temper, something that makes them 'stand out' from the other characters, or something that you precisely associate to them. For instance, Katsuki is known for his anger issues and his tendency to curse a lot lmao. But I also like to write him as someone mature when needed and gentle with Izuku.

Concerning Izuku, I usually make him shy and reserved at first. He blushes a lot but he's also determined and smart. He can even become bold and confident like in Unstable Heats, where his character changed with time thanks to his relationship with Katsuki.

Character development is important. It's not necessary but I think it makes the story more interesting. I already talked about it but if you want to make your character evolve, then it needs time. Someone can't change magically in one day.

Also, remember that your characters don't need to be perfect. They should have defaults like everyone else. They can simply have a bad personality or have anxiety, for instance. You can even give them a traumatic background for more effect.

Concerning their physical appearance, it's best to describe it at least once in your story so that your readers know what they should try to visualise. I personally don't use a lot of details because I don't like big descriptions, but just give the essential like the colour of their eyes/hair, their body type and some details that needs to be specified, such as freckles/scars/beauty marks...

If you're creating your own characters, then you need to think about names. You can use common names that are easy to remember, but using unique names can also be interesting. Also, there are a lot of names that have a special signification, so you can use what you think would fit your character the best.

When you have finished with your main characters, you need secondary characters. The most common secondary character is the supporting character, that is the 'friend' that helps and support the main character. For instance, Hatsume is Izuku's supporting character in Fake Alpha.

The supporting character will often act like the main character's confident. When the main character needs to take a decision or to talk to someone, they will go to the supporting character.

Try not to have useless characters. If someone doesn't bring anything to the story, then it means you can remove them. Too much characters will just confuse and annoy your readers. What you need to focus on in priority are your main characters.

Finally, you need an antagonist, that is someone who oppose or is hostile to your main characters. The 'villain' to say it simply.

You can or not give them a detailed personality. It depends if your antagonist has an important role in your story or not. In my stories, the villain are usually only obstacles that the main characters need to overcome, that's why I don't particularly focus on them.

However, if you plan to make your antagonist an important character that we will see a lot in your story, then you need to think about what they are like precisely. Describe their appearance and personality throughout your story. They can also have a character development or a traumatic background like the main characters.

*****

That's it for the characters, I hope it was helpful!

The next part should be about dialogues.