Chapter 4: Wine With Nana

"Donnertellerrr, let me introduce you to Versace's next Director of Public Relations, Ms. June Moreau," Alex announced to the small group, shoving June to the center of the circle. June had begged Alex not to cause a scene, but he never listened to her. He was so drunk tonight, taking shots and chasing them with champagne. June's first, probably only, interaction with Donatella Versace was on track to be a disaster.

"What the fuck Alex!" She screamed internally. "This is the most embarrassing moment of my life. Why does he do this to me? He gets pissy drunk, and acts like an ass but watch, it'll be my fault by the end of the night." June took a deep breath. "Good evening Madam Versace, it's an honor to meet you, you're my muse, look, I'm even wearing your shoes!" June pointed her toes.

"Madam Versace...my muse?" June thought, "kill me now."

"Everyone." she nodded to the rest of the crowd. "Excuse us, he's been celebrating all day." June forced a laugh.

Donatella shooed the crowd. She stared at June for what seemed like a decade. "Spring 2018 collection." She smiled, nodding to June's shoes. "One of my favorites."

June stood frozen.

"They compliment that dress beautifully." Donatella continued.

June couldn't find her voice.

"Fashion is her passion!" Alex interrupted. June had forgotten Alex was there.

"Yes, since I was a little girl," she croaked.

Donatella smiled, taking in the couple. "That's beautiful. It was nice meeting you both. Have a wonderful night" She turned on her stiletto as her entourage swarmed once again, disappearing into the star-studded crowd.

"Babe, come on." Alex buzzed in her ear, tugging at her hand. "There's Kanye, let's go try to sneak a selfie."

"No," June responded firmly, her back still turned to Alex. "That was so embarrassing, Alex. You always do this to me; practically slurring your words and you're reeking of alcohol!" June began, on the verge of tears. "I'm ready to go."

Alex blinked, trying to focus on June. "Bug, I'm sorry. I just wanted you to get out of your shell." Alex pulled June close, deeply kissing her neck. She felt the warmth of his breath, the smell of vodka filling her nose.

"Alex stop it." June fought his grasp.

He pulled her closer, guiding her hips to the music playing faintly. "Baby, please forgive me," he whispered. His hands sliding to the small of her back, "I just want to share your talent with the world."

June melted into him. "I know you do, but sometimes you embarrass me." She pulled back to look up at him.

He stared back for a moment. His bloodshot eyes processing her words. "I embarrass you?"

"Not like that, it's just sometimes," June started.

"I get it." Alex raised his voice, cutting her off. "I'm just the embarrassing drunk boyfriend."

"Alex, I didn't say that." June hissed.

"I don't want to do this here," Alex said, as he pulled away. "I just wanted to help June. All I ever do is try to help you."

She was losing him. If she didn't calm him down, he'd make a huge scene, then spend the night wallowing in self-pity. Alex started across the room for the bar. June lengthened her stride to catch up with him. She grabbed his hand. "I'm sorry hon, I didn't mean to upset you." June took Alex's face in her hands. "Let's just enjoy the rest of the night, it's a celebration." She smiled up at him, trying to contain the beast. Alex stared past her.