Chapter 6: Picking Up the Tab

"Tim, no more shots, we've got to drive," June choked down her shot of tequila before shoving the lime in her mouth.

Tim and June were three shots in when the bottle girls swarmed on their table, the four on the outside swinging sparklers while the one in the middle carried two bottles of Hennessy VSOP. June and Tim stared at each other mouths agape. Neither of them would ever pay that much for a bottle of Hennessy, let alone buy an overpriced bottle in the club at all. June stared at the bottles, a hint of anger bubbled in the pit of her stomach. Alex loved Hennessy, it was his drink of choice and the catalyst of his bad behavior.

"Girls! Girls!" Tim stood up waving his arms. "I think you have the wrong table," he yelled. The bottle girls look at each other in confusion.

"Aww don't stop now, this is my favorite part," a female voice came from behind them.

June's heart leaped into her throat.

Tala? June searched behind the girls, her eyes darting.

"I took it upon myself to show my gratitude for the invitation," Tala stepped through the girls, "but I guess my theatrics were unappreciated." She smirked meeting June's gaze.

Tim looked at the woman in disbelief. Her fiery hair stacked in a bun, emphasizing the freckles dotted on her cheekbones below her long eyelash extensions. She was taller then June had realized, her slender body was draped in a vintage NWA cropped t-shirt revealing Sports Illustrated quality abs. Complete with cut off denim shorts, white socks, and the UNC Jordan 1s Tim and June camped out for in the Galleria, unsuccessfully.

"Oh she's a bad bitch," Tim whispered to June his eyes  glued to Tala, "and she knows how to make an enterance." Tim pinched June under the table as Tala tipped the girls and squeezed into the booth next to June, plopping her Gucci backpack in the seat. June sat completely still trying to regulate her breathing.

Oh my God, she's more beautiful than I remember. Ugh, and she smells amazing. June leaned in closer, their arms grazing. June turned to stone.

"Sorry!" June slid towards Tim.

"What, you don't want to be close to me," Tala said.

June held her breath, just as Tim studied the pair. "Lord the energy between y'all two is intoxicating, and I'm already drunk!"

June smiled at Tala before breaking away from her stare. She had forgotten Tim was with them, she was so drawn to Tala it was like she had known her before. Her green hazel eyes seems so familiar and comforting.

"I am so rude," June said. "Tala this is my best friend and assistant Tim Foster." Tim nodded.

"Best friend, meeting the competition early I see," Tala replied.

Tim contorted his face. "Yes ma'am, BEST friend, I'll ride out for this one, no ifs, and or asses about it," Tim snapped his fingers, eyeing Tala.

Tala, slid closer, sliding her arm behind June. June played it cool acting unbothered. 

Am I attracted to her? Is she attracted to me? What is going on! June took a deep breath and relaxed into Tala's shoulder. The fruity smell of her perfume filled June's nose and made her smile. Tala curled her arm around June playfully interlacing their fingers open and closed. Tim watched suspiciously. He didn't know Tala well enough yet to judge her, but there was something about her that just didn't set well with him.

"Well, I'm feeling a little third-wheel like, I'm going search the dance floor for my future baby daddy." Tim poured some VSOP over ice and set off for the dance floor leaving the two alone in the booth.

At this point, the club was packed. Bodies buzzed around, from table to bar, and bar to the dance floor. June's liquor had started to kick in. I'm going to do it, you only live once June. Just flirt a little, it can't hurt and you look good as hell. A new DJ had checked-in at the DJ booth. Most of the parties goers headed to the dance-floor, June and Tala sat alone in their booth. They scooted close, as they faced each other to talk over the music. June leaned in resting her hand on Tala's thigh.

"I can't believe you're here, you don't even seem real." June said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Tala studied June's face as her hazel eyes locked with June's.

"It's just the way we met, who starts a conversation on the highway." June started to ramble. "Then you airdropped me your number. I tried to text you for 3 days before my Nana got me drunk enough to do it!"

"You're Nana had to get you drunk in order to text me?" Tala laughed, taking June's face in her hand. "It's not that deep Bug, you're beautiful, I had to try and make a move."

Bug? June sat for a second contemplating her next words carefully. Could this be some kind of joke, did she know Alex? No one called her Bug, but him.

"Bug?" June asked. "Why would you call me that?" June's scrunched her forehead.

"Uh, you know like a Junebug, this is Texas." Tala smiled nervously, unsure if she had offended June.

June relaxed back in the booth, "I'm sorry. I just haven't been called that nickname in a longtime," June looked away. "It's just weird hearing it from someone else, thank you." June smiled shyly and took Tala's hand. "Let's go find Tim."

                                                                                                #

June and Tala found Tim on the dance floor, and the three of them danced nonstop for the next four songs. As the party started to thin the three returned to the table.

"June you ready," Tim asked. "I'm ret to eat and take a nap!" 

"Yea lemme just close out our tab." 

"No need," Tala interjected. "I already took care of it, ya know, for being so kind and inviting me." 

Tala flashed a quick smile, as Tim exchanged a suspicious glance with June. 

"Thanks," Tim replied. "Come on June."

"Well since you've been drinking I can give you both a ride," Tala said.

"You didn't drink," June asked in surprise. 

"No, only in intimate settings," Tala glanced back at June.

"That's fine, I"m just ready to go, I'll Uber back for my car after we sober up." Tim huffed rushing the pair out the door. 

As they stood at the valet stand waiting on Tala's car June felt a rush. She was excited to hang out with Tala, she didn't get sloppy drunk at outings, maybe this was the person she was looking for.  As the valet brought the car around, the three hopped in and set their sights on Frenchy's.