Chapter 10 - Meeting with the King

The Palace before him was grand and overly extravagant just like the novel had described. The courtyard they were dropped off at was surrounded by a garden that was so big that Aether couldn't see the end of it. Fountains of women and men dressed in strange garments that barely covered any of their bodies were surrounded by flowers that were freshly watered. Although they were hidden, Aether could still catch a glimpse of a gardener here and there. Their stiff forms were either corached between planets they tended to or hidden in the shadows as if they were trying to hide from prying eyes.

It was strange though. Even with all the greenery there wasn't a single animal or insect roaming around. In fact the longer Aether stood the more he began to notice just how lifeless the entrance to the Palace was.

'If the entrance is this bad, I can only imagine what the rest of the Palace is like.' He let out an audible sigh. He was already dreading this entire experience and he had only taken one step out of the carriage.

The grand staircase before them was just as grand as the garden. The marble steps were so shiny that he could faintly see his reflection in them as they walked up the stairs. Aether had to resist the urge to roll his eyes at the gold railing. 'How gaudy can this world be?'

His father and brother stood on each side of him. Their shoulders brushed him as they walked. It was a little too close for comfort, but there was little he could do. Everytime he tried to move in a single inch his father and brother would follow suit.

They stopped at the top of the stairs and waited.

Aether noted that despite this being the Royal Palace, there was not a single guard protecting the entrance. 'Do they think so highly of themselves that they forgo guards?' He didn't hold it against them. The Royal Soline family was often depicted as arrogant monsters. Their reputation itself was a warning to any intruder that even thought of trying to harm them.

'How funny that their arrogance was what destroyed them in the end.'

There was a nudge on his back, interrupting him from his thoughts. Bert stood right behind him and gestured to his father and brother. "It is best to stay by the Master's side when entering the Palace." Bert spoke quietly and with his head slightly lowered as if he were trying to keep the conversation just between them.

Aether narrowed his eyes at the others' actions. 'There is no one close enough for him to be worried about eavesdropping unless...' He glanced towards the gardens, catching sight of a few gardeners peeking at them. 'Of course.'

He gave Bert a reassuring smile and nodded.

"When we enter make sure to keep an eye on any lingering insects." His father said to Leon. His nose was scrunched up and sneered as he spoke, "Who knows what those devils are up to."

"Yes father." Leon gave a curt reply before pausing and glancing at Aether. "What should we do about him?"

"Hm?" His father's eyes flickered down for a moment and Aether found himself freezing under his gaze. A small image creeped into his mind. The same eyes peering down at him with disgust and disappointment. He shook his head at such imagery. He couldn't let the previous Aether's memories mess with what was happening now. It wouldn't do him any good. So, with as much confidence as he could muster he met his fathers eyes head on.

His father smirked and without breaking eye contact he said, "Make sure he stays by our side. We don't want him wandering off and dying before he meets the King."

With that single statement all of the confidence Aether had gathered disappeared. He broke his gaze and looked down at the marble floor. He unconsciously rubbed his arm in an attempt to chase away the onslaught of coldness that washed over him.