chapter six ➼ of apples and apple pies

"Do you live in a house?" Ella asked, her focus set mainly on the sprinkles she was placing precisely on each cookie, one-by-one.

"I do," Jisoo nodded, sitting on the counter and watching as the small child continued perfecting her creations.

"I live in a house."

"I know you do, we're here right now."

"Oh yeah. I forgot."

Jisoo laughed, realizing just how much Ella favored her mother. She slid off the island, grabbing a paper towel and wiping the crumbs off of the countertop.

"I'm done, see? They're colorful," Ella observed, pointing out each individual cookie to Jisoo, who listened intently as the small child explained the meaning behind every one.

"They look delicious. Let's let them cool off and then we can put them in a pretty jar for when your mom gets home, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan, kangaroo," Ella hummed, hopping off the stood and running off into the living room. Jisoo chuckled to herself, putting the sprinkles away before heading into the room after Ella.

"I know this song!" Ella exclaimed, running up to Jisoo and holding up the older girl's phone. Jennie's name flashed across the screen and Jisoo looked down at Ella, confused.

"I know this song, kangaroo! Mommy sings it every night, that's how I sleep. See?" she said, running over and setting the phone on the coffee table. She proceeded to spin around in a circle, humming along to the Jisoo's ringtone.

"It's about fireflies," Ella said, growing dizzy and sitting down on the floor.

"I know," Jisoo smiled, walking over and picking up the phone off the table, which had now stopped ringing. She called Jennie back, sitting down on the couch.

"Hello?"

"Ella knows our song?"

Jisoo smirked when there was silence on the other end of the line, knowing she had obviously caught Jennie without an explanation.

"It's a good song," Jennie finally said.

"That it is," Jisoo laughed. "What's up?"

"I'm in-between classes. I just wanted to see what you guys wanted for dinner."

"What makes you think I'm staying for dinner?" Jisoo joked. But Jennie took it seriously.

"Oh... I-I just figured. That's fine... Can you ask Ella what she feels like, then?" Jennie stammered.

"I'm kidding, Jennie. Ella wants ice cream. Right Ella?"

"Ella wants a veggie burger, kangaroo," Ella stated in the background.

"Your kid is weird," Jisoo teased, and she heard Jennie laugh on the other line.

"Psh, you're crazy."

"I know."

There was silence on both ends, which lasted a few moments before Jennie spoke up again.

"Takeout it is then?"

"Works for me," Jisoo laughed, running a hand through her hair.

"See you soon, then."

"Don't fall asleep in class."

"Don't count on it," Jennie groaned dramatically before ending the call.

--

"Real dinosaurs don't laugh, Jisoo," Ella said, crossing her arms.

"Right, sorry," Jisoo corrected herself, biting the inside of her cheek to try and stop herself from laughing once more. She was growing impatient waiting for Jennie to get home. Not that she didn't mind spending time with Ella, in fact she was having more fun that she expected to. She just missed Jennie, and the absence was eating away at her.