you gave it your best shot - reece

I slammed the door and ran through the street. I didn't even bother to put on a coat before leaving the house, so after few minutes I felt cold wind stinging my body through the fabric of my tshirt.

Shivering and running out of breath, I finally stood in front of my boyfriend's house, thinking wheter coming here was a good idea. That was the first place I thought of while leaving my house, desperate for the comfort that only Reece could give me, but now I started to think that maybe I shouldn't have come. What if Reece was busy or spending time with his family?

I decided to knock on the door anyway, praying that it's gonna be Reece who opens the door. Unfortunately, when the door opened, the person in front of me wasn't my boyfriend, but his mum. She looked surprised and confused. After all, seeing your son's girlfriend at your doorstep, shivering and with puffy, red eyes, is not something that happens everyday.
"Hello y/n. I suppose you wanted to see Reece?" she asked with a kind voice.
"Yes. Is he home?" I replied.
Just in the moment I asked the question, I heard the sound of footsteps on the stairs.
"Mum? Are you talking with someone? Do we have gues-" Reece spoke before noticing me in the doorway "Oh my god, y/n."

He immediately ran to me, embracing me in a tight hug. "Baby, you're shivering. Come in." He lead me inside the house and upstairs to his room, cupping my face and placing a soft kiss on my forehead. I felt a wave of comfort rush over me.
"You're freezing. There are some clean clothes on the chair, change into something warm, okay?" he said, rubbing my shoulders with his hands to warm me up a bit "I'll quickly go to the kitchen to make you some tea. I'll be right back."
I changed into a hoodie and sweatpants. Reece's clothes were huge on me but at least I wasn't so cold anymore.

Soon Reece came back with a steaming cup and put it down on the nightstand next to the bed I was sitting on. He sat next to me and pulled me closer. I hid my face in his chest.
"What happened? You were crying, love. Why?"
"It's- I just..." I tried to talk but I felt too tired to explain.
"Shhh darling, it's okay. You don't have to talk if you don't feel like it." He stroked my hair and kissed the top of my head. This soft gesture made me break down again. It made me feel so loved, something I really needed today.

We stayed like this for a while - my head on his chest, his arms tightly wrapped around my shaking figure. He quietly hummed some cute songs and whispered sweet nothings into my ear till I finally calmed down.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk about it? No pressure, but maybe you'll feel better once you do?" Reece whispered. "That way I could also be able to help you, baby."
I sighed, sitting up. Reece did as well, looking me in the eyes and directing all his attention to me. He nodded reassuringly.
"So, as you know, I've been taking this important test at school recently." I started talking "And I got so stressed and I did below average and my parents just can't stop talking about
how much I disappointed them and how I should've tried harder and I... I tried, Reece, I really tried..."

Reece let out a quiet sigh before moving closer to me and taking my hand in his, stroking it with his thumb.
"I'm so sorry, y/n. Your parents have no right to treat you like this. You gave it your best shot and that's all that matters." he smiled and continued: "I'm very proud of you, you know?"
"There's nothing to be proud of" I mumbled.
"Don't say that! I'm always proud of you. You're doing such a good job with all of that studying and one badly written test won't change that." he said. "I love you, y/n, so much."
"I love you too, Reece. Thank you for being there for me."
"Of course. I'll always be there for you, remember that."