12

"Being the daughter of a pack leader is the definition of a nightmare." Maya whines.

I look over at my sister who has half her body hanging off the side of the bed. Her long brown hair falls and hits the floor and her eyes peer up at me from my bed.

"Why do you say that?" I chuckle as I turn my attention to her from my phone.

"Because there's so much expected of us, but when the time comes for us to actually become a part of leadership we're always overlooked."

"I'm not following"

Maya sighs and sits back up and faces me on the bed. "We're 18. We're about to be a part of leadership and look at all the crap they're hiding from us." She whispers.

I sigh and shake my head. "Technically we don't become part of leadership till we find our mates." I point out.

Maya rolls her eyes. "That's another thing! That is so stupid. I'm still going to be me when I find my mate, why do I have to wait for him or her just to be able to know things about my pack" she questions.

I shrug my shoulders. "Just be thankful we don't do that Alpha and Luna shit." I chuckle.

Maya smiles and shakes her head. "At least with that we'd actually be told things." She shrugs and lays back down on her bed, hanging her upper half off the side.

"Not necessarily. Kai and Lilith would be alpha and Luna and whose to say they wouldn't keep things from us." I add.

"Pfft. Kai might want to keep stuff from us but you and I both know Lilith wouldn't let him." Maya adds.

"What wouldn't Lilith do?" Kai asks strolling into the bedroom with Anna on his hip.

"Smoke crack." Maya says with a sarcastic smile.

Kai rolls his eyes at her and shakes his head.

"Daddy what's crack?"

I snort and cover my mouth. Kai's eyes widen but then glare in anger at Maya who is holding a pillow to her face to hide her smile.

"You're a terrible aunt" he mutters as he begins to walk out of the room.

"Damn girl!" Anna screams over his shoulder.

"Now who taught you that!" He asks in a shrill tone.

Once Maya and I hear the front door of the cabin shut we both burst out into laughter.

"Lilith is in soooo much trouble" I say laughing.

Maya and I laugh till our faces go hot. When it finally dies down we fall back into a comfortable silence.

"Can I ask you something?" She asks suddenly.

God I hate when people ask that. Now my stomach hurts.

"Sure. What's up?" I say looking over at her. Her eyes hold a bit of hurt, and it almost looks like she regrets bringing it up.

"Did Danny say anything to you yesterday?"

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Maya sighs and shrugs. "I don't know. Anything about me?"

I frown at her question. "No." I state simply.

Maya sighs and turns her eyes away from me. "I think he likes you." She adds sadly.

"Maya-"

"I see the way he looks at you. You would tell me if you guys ended up as mates wouldn't you?" She asks peering back up at me. I swallow a lump in my throat.