PAST - AT GAMORA'S HOME PLANET ZEN-WHOBERI DURING THANOS' MASSACRE

Gamora and her mother were hiding; the sounds of guns and screaming were outside.

Gamora's mother said to a Young Gamora, "Shh. We'll be safe. We'll be safe.

An explosion went off close by and Gamora screeched by reflex, revealing their hiding spot.

A Child of Thanos said something.

The door was smashed open and both Zehobereians screamed.

Outside, it was utter chaos. Leviathans, Chitauri chariots and ring-ships flew overhead; explosions and energy bolts from numerous sources criss-crossed the panicked population, felling them randomly; smoke arose from countless fires.

"Zehobereians..." Maw began.

Young Gamora, being dragged by one arm through the crowds, called, "Mother! Where's my mother?!"

"Zen-Whoberis... Choose a side, or die."

"Mother!" She punches at the arm of the one dragging her who surprisingly dropped her arm and left.

"One side is a revelation. The other, an honor known only to a few."

Young Gamora turned and found herself facing Thanos in his full Titan armor.

"What's wrong, little one?" Thanos asked.

"My mother," Young Gamora replied. "Where is my mother?"

Thanos knelt down to Gamora. "What's your name?"

"Gamora."

"You're quite the fighter, Gamora. Come. Let me help you."

Thanos offered his hand; she wrapped her little fingers around one massive finger, and he led her to a pavilion, where he crouched to her eye level again and produced a small -- for him -- red-jeweled handle. Pressing the switch, razor-sharp blades popped out both ends.

"Look," Thanos said. "Pretty, isn't it? Perfectly balanced. As all things should be. Too much to one side, or the other..." He balanced it on one finger, overbalancesdit purposefully and caught it. "Here. You try."

Thanos handed Gamora the dagger -- the handle was two child-palms' widths in length. She tried balancing it on her index finger.

"Now go in peace, and meet your maker," Maw said.

One half of the crowd was shot down. The survivors screamed in horror, and Gamora tried to turn but Thanos prevented her from seeing the massacre.

"Uh-uh... concentrate," Thanos told her and she did so. "There! You've got it."

PRESENT - GUARDIANS' SHIP

Gamora was brooding and activated the spring-action blades on the same dagger.

"Gamora," Quill called. "Do you know if these grenades are the "blow off your junk" kind or the gas kind? 'Cause I was thinking I might hang a couple on my belt right here. But I don't want to-"

"I need to ask a favor," Gamora said.

"Yeah, sure."

"One way or another, the path that we're on leads to Thanos."

"Which is what the grenades are for." Gamora silenced him with a look. "I'm sorry. What's the favor?"

"If things go wrong... If Thanos gets me... I want you to promise me... you'll kill me."