Chapter Five

Ugh, back to school…I mean, hello! So glad I could update for you! So yeah, please fan/vote/comment/whatever because that would really mean LOADS to me. Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoy this

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Five

It was about forty-five minutes later that we called the boys into the chuckwagon for dinner. We began to seat ourselves at the long wooden tables. Michelle, Jenna, and I were about to sit with a few of the campers from King Ranch when I caught Niall waving at me from the other table. He was seated next to José and across from Cole, Kinsey and Erin joining them. I wasn’t sure how I felt about joining a table that was predominantly counselors, but I had learned by now that I couldn’t say no to Niall.

Dragging a reluctant Michelle and Jenna along with me, I took the seat next to Niall, returning his grin. He continued his excitable babble with José about something no one could understand except for occasionally Cole. They seemed to be arguing about soccer again, although for once they were agreeing on the fact that “football” made loads more sense than “soccer.” As Kirsty stood up and called for silence, Niall and José kept nudging each other and snickering.

“What’s for dinner, maid?” Cole asked me in a swaggering voice. “Michelle, you want to go get the food tray?” As my cousin hopped up to grab our dinner, the chatter of the room grew, becoming a surprisingly deafening noise for a group of about thirty people. Michelle returned quickly, setting down the tray of Cowboy’s Casserole on the tabletop.

“Yum, poop casserole,” commented Cole, and admittedly that’s what it looked like, but the girls at our table took offense to it anyway. Kinsey immediately piped up in indignation, going into a rant about how we had slaved away for an hour to make it for him and all he could do was complain. He covered his ears, apologizing loudly until she finally shut up.

Grinning, Michelle began to pass around the casserole. It was really a mixture of tater tots and ground beef, cooked up in a huge dish with cheese sprinkled on top. No one really understood why it was called Cowboy’s Casserole, except for maybe that we ate it only at ranch camp, but it was delicious and there were no complaints as everyone scooped up a large helping.

Our conversation was one of those that were highly entertaining and never without someone laughing at the time, but later on no one could ever remember what exactly we were talking about. I only knew that I definitely should have developed a six pack after those two weeks of camp, because I had never laughed so much in my entire life. And I definitely owed part of that to Niall.

I continued owing that to Niall for the next two days, which were filled with so much laughter and teasing that I felt as though my heart would explode with the bubbly happiness inside of me. Although we had to be discreet about it, he managed to hold my hand a few more times throughout the day, volunteering to get water with me every evening and walking with me everywhere. I was pretty sure most people knew what was going on, but everyone conveniently chose to play naïve.

Two days after he had first kissed me, I was lying on my bunk in my cabin, attempting to fall asleep. The rest of my cabin was snoring, sleep-talking, or tossing and turning in their sleep, which I found very distracting, especially since my brain was already so wired. I tossed and turned until around one in the morning, which didn’t feel that late at all since I was usually up to the early hours in the summer anyway.

It was around one-thirty, just as I felt the first brushes of sleep approaching, that I heard someone move outside the cabin. Now, we were used to hearing loads of noises from the woods and pasture, but this sounded like a human. Not that this would’ve been strange, seeing as the necessity to satisfy nature often drove us out of our cabins, but I hadn’t heard anyone from ours leave and the guys’ was in a different direction. I wasn’t really scared or suspicious so much as curious, and so I sat up to look out the window.