Chapter 2 - Part 1

"You did it again, didn't you?" The disapproval was clear in Hannah's voice

"You did it again, didn't you?" The disapproval was clear in Hannah's voice. "You promised you were done with that, Jess."

Jessica's friend knew about the late-night visits with Myles and about her mornings filled with regret and confusion. The last time, she had promised it was going to be the last time.

"I..." Jessica clamped her mouth shut. There was no use denying it.

"Jessica." Her friend sighed over the phone.

Jessica bit her lip as she waited for Hannah to lecture her. Her stance was clear.

"You can't keep doing this. It's not fair to Myles or yourself."

Jessica frowned as she held the phone tighter.

"You were the one who wanted more and, when he wanted to give you what you wanted, you decided your independence was more important." She sighed. "Not that there's anything wrong with that," she added quickly. "But what you're doing is wrong and I just have a feeling it's going to end badly if you don't stop. If this was just some random guy you were hooking up with, you would have my blessing, but this is Myles. You're in love with him."

"I know...but I can't help myself," she murmured to her friend. She knew what she was doing wasn't fair to Myles.

"You have to make a choice, Jess."

"I don't want to lose him," Jessica murmured, feeling anxious that no matter what she did she would.

Her friend was silent for a little while.

"If you don't choose you could end up losing him anyway."

Jessica bit her lip gently as she contemplated Hannah's warning.

"If you had told me Myles was ready for a relationship, I wouldn't have believed you, but he is ready to be with you. You're the one holding back. What if he meets someone else?"

Someone else? It was something that hadn't occurred to her.

"You think that might happen?" Jessica whispered, feeling uncomfortable with the thought that there was a chance he could meet someone else. "I'm scared, Hannah." She let out a deep emotional breath, feeling the weight of the choice resting on her shoulders.

"What are you afraid of?" her friend asked gently.

"I'm afraid..." It was difficult to say it out loud, as if giving it words would make it more likely. "That I choose to be with him and we don't work out."

"I get it, but if you don't, you'll lose him anyway."

Why did things have to be so difficult? If he were able to tell her those three words, would she feel more confident in choosing to be with him? What if she tried and they failed anyway? She'd already experienced so much heartache, but she knew it wouldn't compare to the pain that losing Myles would cause her.