Day 5

Prompt: Soulmate AU --> you and your soulmate are assigned necklaces at birth representing the both of you

Ship: Nejiten

Other information: N/A

*~*~*~*~*

Ever since Tenten was a little girl she knew to keep her necklace on her at all times: every kid was told to cherish it deeply from the moment they were born, after all, without them there was no way of knowing who you were fated to spend the rest of your life with. The brunette was what some may call a hopeless romantic; growing up hearing stories about the lonesome, beautiful princesses being saved by courageous, handsome princes from curses cast upon them by rotten-hearted witches and wizards and later on about valiant, resilient adolescents throwing over a corrupt government, in the process meeting lifelong friends and their foreordained lover. She knew it was too good to be true, yet the girl still dreamed of the day she would meet her soulmate. What was he going to be like? 

He could be a stereotypical bad boy with pent up emotional trauma, only her and their infallible bond being able to break through his foolproof sentimental armour. He could also be a charmer, attracting everyone in a 100 kilometre radius, however, his eyes only fixed on her and her alone. A jock was also a viable option, refusing to open up after years of being told emotions made him weak. Not to forget how likely it could, considering her entourage, be a boy of the nerdy type, gushing about his newest obsession and then blushing as he apologises for oversharing, only for her to tell them to carry on. The possibilities were truly endless when it came to the vast confines of her imagination. 

Every morning she'd wake up and look down at her necklace, hanging only about a centimetre bellow her collarbone. It was made of platinum and very elegant: the precious metal was molded into a kunai - embellished by a small ruby in the delicately shaped circle at the end of the hilt - with smoke like patterns - which were themselves half made of ruby, the transition from metal to stone slicker than what she thought humanly possible, behind it that, in the early morning glows - almost seemed to wrap themselves around the cautiously crafted, miniature weapon.

The kunai obviously represented her, she had known so since she first heard of her lifelong hero, Lady Tsunade, and started dreaming of becoming a kunoichi as strong as her. What she had never figured out was what the smpke represented. Maybe her soulmate had a Katon affinity? That wasn't out of the question but with most of Konoha's Katon users having been part of the Uchiha clan, after it was eradicated she started looking for other options. Maybe it could represnent the smoke of a black smith's furnace, or maybe the open ovens of a cook's restaurant? Whoever it could be the anticipation was eating her alive.

After graduating the academy she had hoped of being put into a team with her potential soulmate yet after her name had been called out and she had been able to assess her teammate's, all hopes had left her. There was no way Rock Lee could be her soulmate, he was, well, too Rock Lee for her taste. Sure he was one of the kindest person she knew, but no way could the fates have paired her up with him. Her other teammate was, at first glance, a lot more like what she had imagined her soulmate to resemble. 

Neji was undeniably stunning. His pale lilac eyes complimented his luscious, long, mocha - coloured hair to such grandeur she would consider it beyond perfection, and to say his simple yet elegant features were up to par with the rest of him would be an underestimation of his grace. She had felt a connection to his constant brooding demeanour, but all attraction she had felt towards his presence was shattered by the fact that, put in it's simplest form, Neji was a dick. She had rarely met such unpleasant company, and knowing she was going to have to deal with this stuck up, impudent asshole made her wonder if fate was even real.