Chapter 3: Breach

The mysterious man (we'll call him Mr C for short) is in an underground container lot. He is wearing a blue business suit and a red tie with a matching fedora.

Whilst kicking a smallish sheet of metal aside he sees two guards running up the stairwell. As they run past him he pulls out a handgun and shoots both of them in the back of the head. He then walks down the stairs and turns right. He keeps walking until he comes across a closed blast door. He smiles smugly.

♦️ ♦️ ♦️

Trent jogged down the dark hallways, still breathing heavily from the chase and then the encounter of a dead body that seemed terrifyingly recent. He slowed down to a walk and stopped to read a large collection of letters and numbers on the wall: 'DCC Sector 17'. He took a picture and went to start running again. I say 'went' because he crashed into a closed set of blast doors almost the second he started moving.

Feeling rather stupid, he opened the blast doors with a hiss of hydraulics and felt slightly surprised to find that the corridors on the other side had clean, white-washed walls and the lights were on.

He started walking around the lit corridors, investigating. Trying to see through the black windows lining either side of the corridor.

Not long after giving up trying to look through the windows he swore he could hear footsteps behind him. He turned. Nothing.

He continued walking, more weary of his surroundings. He heard the footsteps again but before he could turn around a sharp pain rattled around his skull and he had no control as he tumbled to the floor, Unconscious.

♦️ ♦️ ♦️

The raging ocean punched the jagged cliffs beneath the old asylum. It's grey concrete walls worn from decades of salty air.

Grenham was a huge complex of prisons, asylums and laboratories on a small island in the middle of an endless ocean. Towering over this mass of buildings as big as a large town was The Watchtower, a huge superscraper where, at the bottom, the worst prisoners were held and, at the top, the warden's office and main laboratories were.

An old bounty Hunter by the nickname of 'The Silver Knife' was drawing on the walls of his maximum security cell with a piece of sedimentary rock thrown in the window by the ocean several meters below.

An entire map of his prison block was scrawled out in extraordinary detail in front of him.

He resumed to study it until the bell rang for lunch. He had planted a bomb there the last time he was there so this time he just had to activate and detonate it.

Two armed guards came into his cell, handcuffed him and pulled him out of his cell. He didn't resist, which, to the trained eye, would seem suspicious as he always did in some way.

They walked him through the cafeteria doors and he sat down at one of the tables near an outside wall. A few seconds later a guard came and put a tray of food, on it some mashed potatoes and some sort of unidentifiable dehydrated meat.

He opened up a floor panel and took a makeshift bomb out. He then got his small plastic fork and inserted it into a slot in the bomb, then he threw it.

The guards had no time to react as it landed between them and detonated, blowing them aside and destroying the outside wall. A blast of salty air blew over him as he ran out of the gap and onto the BiCopter landing pads.

He ran forward and tackled a guard, knocking him out. He then took his gun and shot the handle on a nearby BiCopter. After clambering into the pilots seat he started it up and it shot upward into the sky.

He was about ten meters off of the ground when an ominous boom of the site's prison escape siren sounded. Followed by the message,

"Subject 15-a, security breach. Code: 17. Prisoner, Max Risdon has breached sector, 15."

This message echoed across the site in a monotone female voice. Then the steady boom of the siren was heard again.

The BiCopter swivelled to head past The Watchtower. He had to make it before the shields came up.

Sections of the tower shifted as the shield generator shifted to charge up. A huge beam of light burst up from the tower and slammed against the upper atmosphere before coming down in a dome several meters behind him, connecting with the steel ring encircling the island.

He hit the accelerator and the BiCopter shot away from the complex and over the murky sea, towards the nearest land mass; Gearia.

♦️ ♦️ ♦️

Lights raced by above Trent's head in blurry flashes as he was carted down a corridor. Half conscious, he tried to use other senses to find out where he was. That's when he figured out his entire body was numb. Shortly after, he smashed through some double doors where, yet again, he went unconscious.

♦️ ♦️ ♦️

Mr C stormed down a corridor in the complex, scientists nodding respectively as he walked by. After passing through an intersection he pushed through some double doors and came into a small laboratory with a table in the centre.

"He's nearly ready for transformation sir." Explained a scientist.

"Soon our plans will be complete!" Exclaimed another.

"Excellent." Mr C praised.

"Prepare for bio editing." Said the first scientist as he pressed a button.

There was a whirr of machinery and the platform lifted up into a hole in the ceiling.

"Are you sure you have fixed the memory detention software?" Conquered Mr C.

"I can assure you, sir, the issue has been resolved." Answered the head scientist as he walked into the room.

"Aaaahh, just the man I wanted to see."

"Sir."

"What can I... expect... from these creatures?"

"Sir, these creatures are the latest in our efforts to seize control of the Free Nations the other side of the Denton Wall!" Explained the lead scientist. "They require only a small amount of sleep and food but can fight and run for extraordinary amounts of time." He continued, "we have chosen them to look like a fox for their sense of hearing and smell as well as having a much smaller chance of falling off of something high up like... say... a telephone wire."

"How fast are we saying these things can go?" Asked Mr C.

"Due to our tests with existing specimens, we can safely say around 25 miles per hour but we are working on a version that can run almost twice as fast."

"The perfect hunting party." Mused Mr C

"Yes." Concluded the head scientist.