First Day

A/n: heyyyyy I am currently in Washington visiting my dad's family. Sadly my father's uncle died on the day we were going to visit him. I actually went back and wrote this because I forgot to write authors notes.

Night fell quickly and I ended up not being able to sleep. I don't think I've ever slept in the same room as anybody else but that didn't matter. I know I'll adjust quickly. I heard This let out a single sniffle. I think she was homesick. She had a good family, good parents, what's not to miss.A body turns, and a pillow muffles the sobs of someone, but we can all hear the sobs. They come from the bunk next to mine, Tris'.
They belong to Al, the largest and broadest of all the initiates. He doesn't seem like he'd break down out of all of us. His feet are right next to Tris' head should I go help him? Why is he even crying why couldn't he keep it together like the other 9 of us . Al sobs again. Tris rolls over. I do the same rolling away from the two and shutting my eyes. Finally my eyes are heavy but as I'm about to be pulled into sleep it's interrupted by Al's cry's. I don't miss anyone back home I couldn't relate to Tris or Al. I put the pillow around my ears to block out Al’s crying. Eventually I fell asleep tonight, I didn't dream about anything. “THE FIRST THING you will learn today is how to shoot a gun. The second thing is how to win a fight.” Four says. It was easy for me atleast to tell that Four saved a voice for us rather than his usual voice. He passes out guns to everyone and once he got to me he looked at my bruised palms which I held out. He gave me an im-sorry-for-everything look then moved on to the others.  “Thankfully, if you are here, you already know how to get on and off a moving train, so I don’t need to teach you that.” I expected us to get atleast a day of training in before we had to run but it seems as if the dauntless wanted to torture the newbies. I'm still tired considering I didn't get sleep last night but I dealt with it. “Initiation is divided into three stages. We will measure your progress and rank you according to your performance in each stage. The stages are not weighed equally in determining your final rank, so it is possible, though difficult, to drastically improve your rank over time.” Never in my life have I been this close to a gun it feels strange. For what ever reason it doesn't seem as dangerous as people say it is I know it's a loaded gun but it's not like someone could accidentally shoot one of us.  “We believe that preparation eradicates cowardice, which we define as the failure to act in the midst of fear,” says Four. “Therefore each stage of initiation is intended to prepare you in a different way. The first stage is primarily physical; the second, primarily emotional; the third, primarily mental.” “But what…” Peter yawns through his words. “What does firing a gun have to do with…bravery?” Four flips the gun in peters hand putting it to his head and clicks a bullet into place. Peter looks terrified. “Wake. Up,” Four snaps. “You are holding a loaded gun, you idiot. Act like it.” He lowers the gun. Once the immediate threat is gone, Peter’s green eyes harden. Being the candor he his I'm a little taken back when he didn't respond. If I'm being honest I would love to see Peter take Four. “And to answer your question…you are far less likely to soil your pants and cry for your mother if you’re prepared to defend yourself.” Four stops when he's at the end of the line of us then he turns pacing. I guess that's something me and my brother share being annoyed by idiots. “This is also information you may need later in stage one. So, watch me.” He faces the wall with the targets on it  a square with three red circles. He stands with his feet apart, holds the gun in both hands, and fires.  When did my brother learn how to shoot a gun?!, The aftershock came moments after when peoples ear began ringing from the noise. I was used to loud noises and being yelled at it didn't bother me. Four hit the middle of the target which surprised me but not that much considering he is a Dauntless. Tris turns to her target as do the rest of is but she is deep in thought. It could be the shock of firing a gun we were abnegation so it's not surprising.I do exactly what Four did feet should width apart rapping my cold hands against the gun. Make sure it's away from my face otherwise it will recoil and hit me. I pull or squeeze the trigger. Not really knowing how to shoot a gun I want to have a practice run so I don't try aiming at first. The recoil isn't as bad as I thought but it's enough to knock Tris off her feet I almost fell but standing my ground is important here. I looked up to see where I hit. right below the center. Tris used the wall for support. I try again, certain I can hit the middle. this time it hits right above the desired target. I kept on trying the 3rd time I tried, I hit exactly where I wanted to, the center. “Statistically speaking,” the Erudite boy next to Tris says, grinning at her, “you should have hit the target at least once by now, even by accident.” He is blond, with shaggy hair and a crease between his eyebrows. “Is that so,” Tris says, obviously mad. “Yeah,” he says. “I think you’re actually defying nature.” "here Tris" I said. I position her how I was. She takes mental notes she's not as dumb as some of the others here. I position her legs apart then go to her hands. She is shying away from the gun; it's farther out than needed. I move her then tell her to try again. With a little more help she gets it.