Part 31 - A Patient Yet Again

The black hedgehog looked up surprise as all of the other Head Counselors came bouncing into her recovery room. Despite the top number of allowed visitors only being two, the girls waltzed in like they couldn't care less and crowded around Scarlet's bed. The first face that stuck out to her was that of the pink squirrel's.

She giggled incredulously. "You found her already? Wow."

"Actually, she came to F.V.R. riding on Zavok's shoulder. It was quite a sight." Cyanic filled her in as the Head Mistress hugged her friend.

"For real? What happened to you, Nutty? Were you kidnapped?" Scarlet looked more concerned than impressed.

"Ah, Mimic, he..." Nutmeg simply chuckled and shook her head, not finishing what she was about to say. She instead informed them on how she had taken the temporary MIND boxes off of the Zeti and planned their escape together. "It was simple, really. Zavok wanted to blow something up on our way, but I had to insist that it wasn't necessary. I said instead he could squeeze Snow like a stress ball, and he got what I meant. It's a shame the Zeti took off, though... they really thrived in F.V.R."

"So did Mephiles," Batanna muttered.

Scarlet sighed. "I'm not so sure about Mephiles. I don't think he had an actual incentive to be good."

"That's right, you were his counselor. You were Juke's counselor, too. Did he give any forewarning of his plans?" Valorie inquired.

The hospital-bound hedgehog shook her head. "Of course not. He was all wistful about being a ninja and wistful about 'the good old days,' during which I had no clue what he was talking about. We didn't really make any progress during the first week he was here."

"Well, at least it's over. N.I.T.E.'s finished." Cyanic sighed, before knocking three times on the wooden side table.

There was a pause. Nutmeg bit her lip, staring thoughtfully out of the window from across the bed.

"Guys, I've been debating something," she said after a long moment of silence.

"Shoot." Batanna replied.

"While F.V.R.'s being repaired I was thinking Eclipse could have a little more freedom... I wouldn't call him a reformee yet, but... say, what if he had an advisory team from G.U.N. assigned to him that allowed him to participate in missions with supervision?"

"I think it would be good for him," Cyanic responded. "He's literally biologically engineered to fight, maybe joining G.U.N. would help him have an outlet for it."

"Better yet, he has a strong sense of loyalty. As does Infinite." The gears in Nutmeg's head were turning. "Mimic is notoriously selfish and two-faced. Say he had someone like those two to help him understand the devastation caused by being a self-serving loner."

"I like your idea," the lavender bag put in. "Infinite's already been assigned to Shadow's team, though. Won't that discourage Mr. Slick?"

"Surprisingly, Eclipse still likes Shadow despite what he did to him." The pink squirrel informed them. "I think... it just might be convoluted enough to work."

"It is kind of far-fetched, but I bet we could convince Wilkes to let us do just about anything at this point," Valorie laughed.

"I'll talk to him tomorrow," The Head Mistress decided. She gave her friend a pitiful look. "Scarlie, please get better. We'll all be sad if you don't."

"Sure, let me just recover faster," Scarlet joked, before waving off their concern. "The doctor said it was nothing major. I might have gut issues for the next few days, though."

Her sister smiled sadly. "Maybe it isn't too safe for us to be keeping a Chaos Emerald in close quarters with a bunch of former villains. Temptation can be hard to resist."

"Yeah, but it's comforting to have it close enough to reach when we need it." The dark hedgehog pouted.

"We should all probably get some rest and let Scarlie recover." Batanna spoke up, yawning.

"Oh yeah, I wanted to take a bath after everything that's happened. I should probably call Borkie first, though, to update him on everything that's been going on..." Nutmeg received several pitying looks from her friends. "Oh, I'll be fine, I just need to disassociate for a while. I hope you feel better soon, Scarlie."

The girls joined together in one last group hug, before saying their goodbyes.