Chapter 3

I felt empty. I couldn't eat nor sleep. I was an orphan. I had no choice but to go to the two people that I despised the most. I did not want to be around animals, no, monsters. I wanted my mommy. She was gone, though. Attacked and mauled, the medical examiner said. I couldn't even see her one last time because she had been so disfigured. I saw it. Before that black bag rolled away, I saw her neck filled with strange gold flecks embedded in the wounds- the claw-like wounds. The coroner did say that her hair was perfect, though. It always was. 

I was thrown out of my thoughts by the wailing toddler. She cried and cried because even though she was just an innocent little baby, she felt that lost, too. We cried together. I convinced the social worker to let me keep her for a night or two before we go to my dad's. They agreed, surprisingly. I just wanted to grieve my mother in peace. I just wanted to feel her one last time.

They swore that they did not know what attacked her, and, as much as I wanna blame those monsters, there was no telling what lingered in these woods. I bet that my father probably did it, though. She seemed to have been a bother to him. Hell, he and that woman probably played a role. I truly don't know. I don't even think that I would wish to know. My mommy is gone, and that was the only most certain thing in my life. 

There was no funeral. There was just a memorial celebration and a few words. My mom had a few friends from work, some around time, and a small group that I did not know about. Her parents had died way before I was born, and she had no other family. My father did have the audacity to show up with that woman while my mother, that he left, lay in ashes in a small urn. She was too beautiful for that. She was too beautiful for it all- him, us, and this world. 

"Come on, little girl. Your mother's funeral is over. It is rather pathetic that you will rather sit here and rot instead of doing something productive.", Raven heard the nasal voice gripe in her ear. She was mad. She was furious, even. She wanted to scream. She wanted to fight. She even wanted to beg to stay a bit to just be with her mommy a little bit more. Yet, it was like her mind nor body could compute one another. She was numb. She was numb when the funeral director handed her her mother's ashes. She was numb when she went into the car that drove them into the deep woods, to the house that she hated the most. She was numb when she got out of the vehicle and the beautiful boy her age looked at her with such pity. The strangest thing was that he pitied that she had to come to this place that he heard her state numerous times was her personal hell. 

"You should put some pep in your step. Call me 'Alpha' or 'Mummy',  the latter seems more appropriate seeing as that spot is now available", sneered Raven's new stepmother. She looked at her father in total hatred, and she watched as his blank eyes just stared at her in boredom; the look made her stop because the man looked defeated and as if he was not there. 

"Angela would be just fine. But mummy would be good for an old, decrypted bit-" before Raven could finish her thought, her head went in the opposite direction with sickening force. The young girl bit her lips, refusing to let the vile alpha know the pain that she inflicted. Raven stared at the woman with unbridled hatred in her heart. The alpha's brow quirked up in interest; she had never met one look her straight in the eyes, so boldly without any fear creeping from them. She thought to herself that she would have fun breaking the young girl while training the wailing bitch of a child to be the perfect protege. Alpha Angela looked over at her mate; she giggled quietly to herself at the complete distraught look that overcame his face. She would break him too, so that he is nothing but her little play toy to manipulate. 

Raven saw the evilness pouring out of that woman. She couldn't lie. She wanted to to submit to the power that radiate from the wolf, but Raven used every ounce of strenght she could to look the woman in the eye. Before anybody had time to move, all they saw was the flexing of Angela's throat and the sight of something flying through the air before it landed in Raven's face.

To everyone's shock, the human just looked at the alpha and laughed a deep belly laugh with the personal promise to kill the alpha as soon as she could.