39| The Breaking Point

~Tora~

~Tora~

"I TRUSTED YOU!"

Casper screamed with tears streaming down his cheeks as words of vile hatred spewed from his lips directed towards Galen who had been beaten to the floor. Our living room looked like a bomb had gone off with every lamp shattered, couches stained with blood, and holes in the walls that had fresh crumbles of drywall mixing in with the glass strewn across the wood floor. Casper sobs as he lifted his shaky fists and Galen flinched, but the fight had left his body. Micah cast her hand around his to stop him.

"Stop! Casper you're going to kill him! You're going to kill our brother!"

"Tora?"

Gasping for air as I flipped and tumbled right off the edge of the bed and into Galen's waiting arms to stop me from hitting the nightstand. I get a soft landing on the carpet as Galen crouches in front of me, looking more or less concerned for my wellbeing. It seems like these days he's always worried about me and that's the only look I get from him. I want him to stop but how can he when I keep pulling shit like this?

He quietly nods to the door after petting me on the head and I turn around, peeking over the mattress to find Casper still cuddling Micah, holding her in his arms with his foot out to the empty sheets. It moves slightly, almost as if he's scanning for me and he slowly wakes up and sees me with Galen waiting in the doorway before quickly shutting his eyes and pretending he's still in deep slumber.

It's a quiet walk down the hallway with Galen still partially dressed up for work almost like he just got home when it's three in the morning. His dress shoes tapping against the hardwood floors with his hands in his stiff pockets. It's contrasting to my shirtless soft cotton pajama pants and sockless feet in comparison, but at this point, I've learned to be thankful for the moments I get to see him in person.

"I'm impressed that you somehow managed to twist yourself off my side considering how big our bed is," Galen says to try to break our comfortable silence which is a first for him.

"Yeah well maybe if-"

I know we're moving on from the don't make things harder thing but he's trying and if you ruin this Tora I swear to god we're never shifting again

This time Wren repeats the sentiment and holds my tongue from blaming him. Also knowing how fragile our relationship is right now.

Unfortunately Galen's smart enough to finish the sentence for me.

"I'm sorry Tora,"
"You're always apologizing, but if it doesn't go anywhere does it really mean anything?"

I ask him, still a little tired and unable to keep myself under wraps for too long as he clears his throat and walks down the stairs alongside me.