Chapter 5: The Birthday Ball

Clara smoothed out the skirt of her blue gown. Straightening the ceremonial red and white sash that draped from her right shoulder, she pinned a couple of medals and a Sapphire broch on. With her blue gown and her sash, she realised that she completed the colours of the French flag. 

   Someone knocked on her door.

  "Come in!" Clara called out.

 The door opened and her mother, both her older brothers and AJ entered the room. 

    "Oh my! My little darling is so grown up!" Queen Maria Amalia teared up as she engulfed her daughter in a hug, being careful not to crumple either of their gowns.

   "Mother, she grew up ages ago." Frédéric laughed. 

  "Really? I still see a girl that ran around the halls and drove mother mad!" Sébastien grinned.

    "Oh leave off! It's her birthday, leave your teasing for another day." AJ chastised, swatting both the princes on their arms before taking her turn in giving Clara a hug. "Happy 24th birthday Clara!" AJ greeted her.

   "Thank you AJ! I love your gown!" Clara smiled.

  "Thank you, I love yours too!" AJ smiled back. 

     "All right then, guests are already gathering in the ballroom. There are a few yet to arrive, but there is no harm in being fashionably late. Sébastien, you will escort your sister into the ballroom. Frédéric, do you mind escorting Mademoiselle AJ? Perfect! Adélaïde and Antoine are already in the ballroom, and you father is already waiting for us. Let's get going." Queen Maria Amalia said, leading the way down to the ballroom.

   "Happy birthday sister," Sébastien whispered to Clara as she took his offered hand, "feels like only yesterday when you attended your first ball." 

  "Thank you, Sebby." Clara smiled.

 "There you are! Ah, my daughter is growing up so fast!" King Louis Philippe hugged his daughter quickly before they entered the ballroom. They stood at the top of the staircase as some announced that they had arrived. 

  "Presenting, His Majesty, King Louis Philippe, his wife the Queen Maria Amalia! Crown Prince Frédéric, Prince Sébastien, Mademoiselle AJ Richardson,  and the belle of the evening, Her Royal Highness, Princess Clara Francesca Isabelle!" 

    They descended the stairs, smiling and waving at the guests who clapped.

   Clara then noticed a man with black hair looking with a shocked and somewhat awe filled expression at AJ. But before she could question it, he disappeared into the crowd. 

   "If you'll excuse me, sister, I'm just going to see my friends. If you need to escape from anything, make the excuse to come find me." Sébastien whispered.

  "Of course, thanks. Have fun!" Clara waved as her brother weaved his way through the crowds.

 "Your mother has dragged Frédéric off to get acquainted with some Viscountess or something of the sort." AJ said.

   "I guess it's just us then." Clara laughed. 

  "So, how does it feel to be 24?" AJ asked as they strolled around the ballroom.

 "Well, no different from being 23! But... well, what can I say." Clara giggled.

    "That's how I feel on my birthdays. You hardly feel any different from the previous age!" AJ chuckled.

   "Yeah, that's true." Clara nodded, agreeing. 

  "Presenting, the Earl Eduard Enjolras, his wife, the Countess Aurelia Enjolras, and their two children, the Lord Marcelin Julien Enjolras and the Lady Kaylin Megan Enjolras." The Herald announced.