Chapter 14: A Sudden Turn of Events

"It's not what you think, Kaylin!" Clara insisted, as the said girl had a smirk plastered on her face. 

    "Oh really? So what were you and my dear brother doing all alone in a library?" Kaylin asked innocently.

    "We were both running away from suitors. And then she was going to tell me about her necklace before you lot showed up," Enjolras explained calmly, leaning back and draping an arm over the top of the lounger he was on. 

     "Oh! She was going to tell you? Can we hear it too?" AJ was suddenly interest. She knew that the necklace meant something special to Clara, but she didn't know exactly what or why.

    Clara sighed, "Fine, I'll tell you all. But you better all have a seat," She said, taking a seat on the other side of the lounger from Enjolras. 

    Courfeyrac and AJ sat next to each other on the couch, secretly holding hands under the folds of her skirt as they hadn't told the others yet. 

   Combeferre and Kaylin sat with them, and the other boys, including Gavroche, all found their own seats. 

    "It was a gift from two boys who I owe my life to," Clara started, looking into the fire next to her, "It was twenty years ago. I got lost in the streets of Paris because I had run off. It was raining and dark. I ran into a lady and she immediately knew I was of an upper class and tried to take me with her so that she could get money for finding me. When I tried to get away, she hit me across the cheek."

    "What?!" Sébastien exclaimed, "You never told us this!" 

 "That's not important right now," Clara looked at him, "Anyway, before she could do anything else, two boys came to my rescue. They scared the woman off and then took me to the nearest police station. Their names were Felix and Hugo. They're parents came for them soon after, and then I was taken back to the palace. A couple or so days later, the police came to the palace with a parcel. It was from the boys. A necklace with a note. That was the last I ever heard from them." She looked at her clasped hands, placed on her lap. 

    "Oh wow, I didn't know..." AJ looked shocked. 

  "That is some story," Kaylin agreed. 

     "Why didn't you tell us?" Sébastien asked. 

   "What was there to tell? I was never going to see them again, I didn't know where they lived, who they were except for their names and that they rescued me," Clara sighed, "I wish I did though, then I could thank them properly."

    Silence fell over the room. 

  Kaylin looked at her brother, who looked as if he wasn't really paying much attention to what was being said. 

    "It's a very pretty necklace, though, I must say!" Nikki spoke up, "It's a nice shade of pink. It suits you."

   "Thank you," Clara smiled at her, fingering the necklace. 

  "Yeah well," Enjolras hesitated before looking down at another book he had picked up, "You look pretty in pink."

     Clara froze. 

  She had heard that line before. In fact, she could remember it clearly in her mind. It was a memory she cherished along side the necklace. 

   Clara's hands shook slightly. 

  "Clara? Are you alright?" Kaylin and AJ looked alarmed. 

   Clara ignored the question and slowly turned to look at Enjolras. 

 "You look pretty in pink... you look pretty in pink." Those words circled around her head, almost making her dizzy. 

   "You're Hugo?" Clara breathed out.