Chapter 13: Surprises Right, Left & Centre

"Your highness?" A voice called through the door.

  "Come in!" Clara quickly finished off writing a letter.

     A servant came in followed by AJ and Kaylin.

  "Lady Kaylin Enjolras and mademoiselle  AJ Richardson to see you, your highness." The servant announced.

    "Thank you Colin," Clara nodded.

  The servant bowed and left, closing the room after her. 

    "Guess what?!" AJ grinned, making herself comfortable on the sofa. 

  "You finally told Courfeyrac you like him?" Clara guessed, grinning teasingly.

 AJ blushed.  

   "Nope! She hasn't, don't know why though... I mean, she's had a crush on Courf ever since she set eyes on him which was around, four or five years ago." Kaylin said.

   "Anyway," AJ interjected, changing the subject, "My family are holding a ball, and you're all invited!" 

   "When is it?" Clara asked. 

 "Tomorrow!" AJ said. 

   "Tomorrow?! But I don't have anything to wear!" Clara protested.

  AJ and Kaylin looked at her. 

    "Clara, you're the Princess of France, you have a lot of gowns that you can wear," Kaylin rolled her eyes before grabbing the said girl's hand dragging her to the walk in wardrobe. 

   Flinging the doors wide open, Kaylin's jaw dropped. AJ gasped as she peered over her shoulder.

   "What do you mean you have nothing to wear? You've got gowns in all styles and in all the colours under the sun!" AJ exclaimed. 

   "Fine, I may have exaggerated a little bit, but let's rephrase," Clara walked into her wardrobe with the other two trailing behind her, "I don't know what to wear."

    "Red? It would certainly catch Enjolras' eyes," Kaylin teased, grinning.

  Clara shot her a look. 

     "What is it with you trying to set me up with your brother?" Clara exclaimed, exasperated. 

  "You may not notice it, or know, but you have done something to Enjolras, even it is just getting him to say even a word to you!" Kaylin said. 

   "I know, I've heard the story millions of times," Clara sighed, "He doesn't talk to girls or takes any notice of them, but somehow, I intrigue him enough that he'll have a civil conversation with me."

    "How about this gown?" AJ pulled out a gown and showed it to her friend.

  "Too fancy, I don't want to be over-dressed," Clara said, "and then again, I don't want to be to underdress or else my mother will not be happy."

   "Right, how about we choose a colour first? To narrow it down a little bit," AJ suggested, putting the gown back. 

   "Well, I can't wear white, that's more for weddings and Christmas. Blue, I already wore that for my birthday. I wore a green gown to the ball at the Enjolras Estate. Red is out of the question," Clara started listing off colours before she got interrupted. 

    "And why is red out of the question?" Kaylin asked, grinning. 

  "I'm planning on wearing red for the Christmas ball my father is hosting this year," Clara explained, "Adélaïde is going to be wearing green and my mother is thinking of wearing a silver or pale blue gown."