Chapter 3: A Letter from No One

Dedicated to WritersBlock1316

"You'll start seeing death omens everywhere. It's enough to frighten anyone to death."

~ J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, pg. 45
************************************

The brothers were in the forest, just beyond the veil of death. Ever since they had approached the fated veil, Ignotus' skin prickled, as though something somewhere was staring at them. When he would flash his eyes to find what/who was staring, nothing but the forest was in sight, or earshot. Every little sound made Ignotus feel on edge. This included wrestling of the leaves in the tree, and snapping of branches.

"Do you get the impression something is watching us?" Ignotus asked quietly.

Antioch shrugged his shoulders indifferently. Cadmus nodded his head.

"Weird," Ignotus said a little louder then a whisper.

Just then, a swarm of flying animals began approaching from a distance. They came closer and closer into view until they could finally recognize the dark creatures for what they were; a murder of crows. An omen of death.

The crows began swooping in on the brothers, blocking their sight of the path ahead. Ignotus batted his arms, trying to protect himself from the birds. Cadmus did the same.

With lightning speed, Antioch had his wand out. "Avada Kedavra," he bellowed, as a jet of green light shot towards one crow. The curse went through the animal, as though it comprised dark vapor. Ignotus stared at it uneasily.

The rest of the crows scattered and flew up, using the trees for shelter, trying to protect themselves from Antioch and the curses he was blasting out towards them. As Antioch's spells coursed through their bodies, a few of the crows transformed into what looked like dark smoke, and then miraculously back into crows after a second or two. Antioch raised his eyebrows in shock and anger when he saw his hexes were not working for his intended purpose.

One particularly brave crow flew down when Antioch had his back turned. It had a letter clutched in its beak. The youngest brother's eyebrows shot up in surprise. Who would write them? Ignotus took the letter from the beady eyed bird and opened it. Ignotus immediately regretted doing so. He read the message. Repeated was the ancient prophecy and an added message :

Thank you for visiting my abode as my honoured guests. It would be my pleasure if you joined me once again. Why even bother with inventing the hallows, you fools? Come back; in the end you will be mine!

A knot formed in Ignotus' stomach as he observed the group of crows that delivered the message. There was no name transcribed under the message. No way of knowing who this mysterious message was from, although he definitely had his suspicions.

Cadmus asked Ignotus, "What does it say?!"

Ignotus repeated the message. Antioch looked excited, Cadmus apprehensive.

"A murder of crows is an omen of death! I actually saw a group of them the night our parents died. I want nothing to happen to either of you!"

Antioch laughed coolly. "Omens, you two really are ridiculous."

Antioch took in his surroundings excitedly, as if expecting the next challenge to come. He flexed his muscles out and made himself look more intimidating.

"I'm not afraid of danger. I laugh in the face of death."

Right at that very moment, a dead squirrel covered in white, silky material dropped from the tree above. The white silky material was spider webs. Ignotus' heart was pounding as he stared up into the face of an eight-legged and eight eyed giant spider.

************************************
Dear Reader,
Hope you're day is going really well. Thank you for reading yet another chapter of my story. If you liked this chapter please press the star icon below.

So, Hogwarts was established before the Peverell brothers were born. It got me thinking what house I thought each one of them would be in. I think Ignotus would be in Slytherin, Antioch in Gryffindor, and Cadmus in Hufflepuff. Which house do you think the three Peverell brothers would be in? Feel free to comment below.

MeanderingFool