Chapter 1: The Prophecy

Dedicated to WritersBlock1316

"I set myself against what is lurking in this forest,[...] yes, with humans alongside me if I must." ~J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, pg. 188.

************************************
"Over here, brothers of Peverell," a centaur called out, waving for the three young men to follow. They were running, as if something -or someone- was trying to chase after them. The woodland scenery passed by their periphery as they staggered to keep up to the nimble centaur.

They were all very unlikely traveling companions, the three brothers and a centaur. It was not every day that humans associated themselves with the four-legged humanoids.

Centaurs had sworn not to set themselves against the heavens, and as a result, it outraged many of the centaur's tribe because of his rebellious actions. Many others in centaur's family had tried to warn them along the way, but none of them prevailed.

The three brothers followed the centaur's well calculated steps. They travelled just beyond a thicket, full of vegetation that was lush and full of life.

This centaur had introduced himself as Chiron. He was tall and burly, with brown hair on top of his head, bushy eyebrows, and a scruffy brown beard. The horse half of his body was that of a white stallion. Hoofbeats sounded soft on the earth beneath him.

At first the three were all naturally skeptical when they had met him. However, because Chiron had aided the brothers from many charging centaurs, they took up helping one another escape from Chiron's own family.

They continued to sprint until the glow of sunset danced on the treetops of the forest. Each one did their best to hide their tracks as they went.

The first brother was tall and had an athletic build. His dark hair had a casual, elegant waviness to it that gracefully crowned the top of his head. He had dark, bewitching brown eyes with a captivating twinkle about them. He also had a boastful, brash heir to him. Although he had lost his parents at a rather tender age, Ignotus noted it was hard to tell by looking at him he had experienced any hardship. He went by the name of Antioch.

The second brother, Cadmus, had a sallow face and was a somber young man. His dark eyes looked like they were cold, dark, tunnels, devoid of light. If one were brave enough to venture to look further down their grave depths, as Ignotus was, they would see the agony of a tortured soul that comes from loving his parents so deeply and losing them far too soon. His figure and clothing seemed to droop like a sleeping bat, with little sign of life.

The youngest brother, Ignotus, in Latin his name meaning "unknown", was full of mystery. He had a modest manner about him and a youthful appearance. He lacked the admiration of adoring parental figures that his eldest brother seemed to carry about with him. His hair was jet black and stood up in the back. No matter how hard he tried to tame it, nothing seemed to help. His figure was lanky, awkward, yet walked with a deliberate and quick pace. His eyes were hazel and transformed color from green to brown because of lighting and proximity of the other person he was interacting with. His eyes were definitely one of his most intriguing features.

The four of them ventured out of the woods that had sheltered them from view for a good quarter of an hour. Up ahead, a beautiful lake shone brightly. It was full of the stillest, most reflective water they had ever seen. The stars twinkled in the water's reflection, almost as if it had been the sky itself. Chiron muttered something about it being called, "γαλαξιακός καθρέφτης." (Being translated to English this means galactic mirror, or mirror of the galaxy.) The brothers did not understand what he said.

At this Chiron opened his lips and spoke in a booming voice; "I brought each one of you here to repeat the words of an ancient prophecy. The stars and planets have aligned and have spoken, and the heavens this meant this for each of thy ears to hear."

Hark! The curse of death is calling,

At an archway deep and grim,

If it please thou, make a treasure,

With thy powers from within.

No gold, nor bronze, nor silver,

Can buy heart's true desire,

It must be bought with blood,

Refined by death's cruel mire.

The elder will make a wand,

By a tree of that same name,

The core of death untainted,

Til' no innocence remains.

The onyx of resurrection,

Forged of Phoenix ash and tears,

For through thy grief is risen,

The yearning for the years.

A cloak of death unknowing,

Made from magic hair and silk,

Forgot not of the sacrifice,

The silver blood of bilk.

Together these will make,

The Deathly Hallows key,

Master of Death only,

For the one who owns all three.

***********************************
Hi All,
Thank you for reading the my fanfiction! You are all the best! If you liked it please let me know by hitting the star icon on the bottom left corner of your screen. I also love encouraging comments, and constructive criticism as it helps me grow as a writer. Hope you all have a splendid day!