Breathe

"So, Derek, have you made a choice for your fellowship yet?" Ellis asked as they sat down to dinner.

"I've been looking at my options," he said, sipping at his drink as he eyed Meredith, who wasn't meeting his gaze, "And I've got a few interviews set up."

"Oh, where at?" she asked, none the wiser to the agreement held between the pair, "You've got that one at John Hopkins next week, right Meredith?"

"Mom," she groaned slightly, taking a sip of wine as she pushed the food around her plate with her fork, "We're not talking about it."

"What? Why not?" Ellis asked with a frown.

"Because... we agreed we wouldn't discuss it," she motioned between herself and Derek, "Make sure we're choosing the right fellowship for us, not for any other reasons."

"I mean... okay," Ellis shrugged, her gaze watching Meredith a moment, as did Derek's.

She had gone quiet, pushing her food around her plate, and he could hear the cogs in her brain working as she stared at a spot on the table, tuning out everything else. He reached over, gently touching her hand with his own and she looked up at him, slightly startled. He gave her a warm smile that she half returned as she shook her head ever so slightly.

"How are your parents, Derek?" Richard asked, clearly trying to change the subject.

"Oh, they're good, thanks. Dad's been busy with work mostly, and my Mom just keeps coming up with new recipes everyday," he chuckled, keeping Meredith's hand in his.

"So you're well fed then?" Richard chuckled.

"Definitely," he grinned, continuing to eat the meal in front of him as conversation continued between Ellis and Richard, keeping an eye on Meredith.

Truthfully, he didn't mind following her wherever she wanted to go. He wasn't totally convinced by this agreement they'd made, even if it had the best intentions. He didn't want to wait another two years, he'd move to be with her tomorrow if he could, if she'd let him.

"You've been quiet," he said, moving his arm around her as they walked down the sidewalk.

"Just... thinking," she shrugged, leaning into him as they walked.

"Give your brain a rest," he sighed, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

"I wish I could," she laughed slightly as they approached her building.

"Let's just have a relaxing night, enjoy our time together before I have to head back," his hand rubbed her back slightly as they moved on to the elevator.

"I... what my Mom said, about Baltimore," she looked up at him, "It's just an interview, and you know, we said we wouldn't talk about it, and now you know and..."

"It's okay," he shook his head, quickly pressing a soft kiss to her lips, "And for the record, I'm really proud of you."

"Thank you," she murmured, returning his kiss, "But, we really should stick to what we said."

"Mer, would it really be the worst thing for us to talk about it? I want to know what's going on with your fellowship applications, and I want to be able to tell you about mine," he tried to reason with her as they walked into the apartment.

"What? No, Derek, we agreed. This is for the best," she turned to look at him after hanging her coat up, "We can't make our fellowship decisions based on where the other is going."

"Why not? I'd be happy to follow you anywhere," he sighed, following her into the small living area.

"Because you shouldn't make your fellowship decision based on where I am! This is your career, Derek. You deserve to be in the best programme for you, not just because it would mean we were in the same city," she said, sitting down on the couch.