Chapter 32

The anticipation of knowing Derek was stood waiting for her was the only thing helping her push through in her sleep deprived state. She'd been unable to sleep for too many hours at a time out of a mixture of slight excitement and uncomfortableness of having a human being growing inside of her. Her hand rested on her swollen abdomen with absentminded gentle rubs as she walked through the airport, pulling her suitcase along behind her, her eyes scanning the area for Derek.

Her eyes landed on him and her grin grew on her lips as she approached, realising he was on the phone to someone. As she got closer, their eyes locked, and he grinned back at her.

"Mom, I gotta go, talk to you later," he said into the phone before hanging up and sliding it into his pocket.

He closed the distance between them, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close as her own arms went around his neck. His face burrowed against her hair and inhaled gently, thankful to have her in his arms again, to smell the intoxicating lavender scent of her hair. The last month had been daily calls, or video calls if they managed, but it wasn't anything compared to being able to hold her in his arms. He pressed kisses against the top of her head, and she lifted her face to look at him, and he pressed his lips against hers in a soft kiss, something they both needed.

Once breathless, their lips pulled apart, but they kept their arms around each other as Meredith murmured softly, "Hey."

"Hey," she grinned up at him, "You spoke to your mom?"

"Hmm, she wants to visit soon, or us visit them. Oh, and she passes on her good luck to you, for the job," he said, unable to keep his eyes of her, "and she wants to know how her grandchild is doing."

She rolled her eyes at him playfully, "You know how her grandchild is doing."

"Only over video camera," his voice had a playful tone to it, and he moved his arms from her waist to release her, "Let's get you both to our new home."

He gave her another kiss before she stepped back and he grabbed her suitcase, moving his other arm around her waist as they walked out of the suitcase. She glanced up at him as they walked.

"Our home? I thought we were going to be in a hotel for a week or so?"

"That's your surprise," he grinned at her as they reached the car, "They finished the house early, so that nice big, comfy bed you picked out is waiting for you."

"Really?" She grinned wider as they stopped next to the car and he lifted her suitcase into the trunk.

He leant back against the side of the car, reaching his hand out to her before gently pulling her to him, her back against his chest with his hands reached around to her abdomen, his chin resting on her shoulder.

"Really, baby."

She leant back against him, tilting her head back slightly and closing her eyes as his hands drifted up her blouse to rest on the bare skin of her more pronounced baby bump. She covered her mouth as she yawned slightly and murmured.

"That feels nice."

"Tired?" He whispered, pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek as she nodded, "You can sleep in the car, if you want."

He reluctantly released her, moving to open the passenger side door for her and pressing another kiss to her lips before closing the door and climbing in the driver's side.

He started driving in the direction of the house they had chosen together, glancing over at her every now and again as her head rested against the glass of the car door and her eyes drifted shut.