Maybe

Somehow he always knew she was special.

From the first day he met her there was just something about her that intrigued him.

Maybe it was the way she always talked back while still sounding respectful. She never insulted you, just pointed out the truth and stated facts that made his jaw drop whenever she spoke. Maybe it was the way she always stood up for her friends and tried to protect them. Loyalty was one of her strongest traits and she never talked bad about her friends, not even when they were fighting against each other over the silliest things on earth. Or, maybe, it was the way she looked at him when she caught him staring at her. He was downright embarrassed whenever it happened but she just laughed softly and sent him her sweetest smile he never saw on her for someone else. It was just for him.

"Boing!"

Was it the stupid yet cute nickname she called him since they were children his friends loved to tease him about? Maybe. Was it the way she always grinned happily at him with that glint in her eyes when she called him that? Perhaps. Was it the way she jumped onto his back and refused to let go after seeing him in so long? Possibly.

He never told her, but these things she always did when he was around made his heart skip a little beat. Small butterflies told him just how much he loved to watch her, to talk to her, to be with her.

Did she know?

How often she consumed his thoughts and caused sleepless nights? How often he agreed to dates with other girls but always thought of her instead of listening to them? How he tried to impress her with his success at college or tried to make her laugh with endless jokes that weren't funny, not even in the slightest?

He thought about her smile and laughter as he watched her talking to her parents. The day Shawn adopted Maya and she became a Hunter just like her mother the blonde had come to his dorm room. It was late in the evening as she knocked at his door and jumped into his arms, laughing happily with a few tears escaping her ocean blue eyes.

"Hey, what happened, Ferret?" He had asked her, completely worried and scared. She jumped out of his hold and showed him a single piece of paper - a document.

"Hey, I'm Maya Hunter!" She had exclaimed with a few jumps into the air, causing her blond waves to fly around her head wildly.

It was one of the best days of her - and his - life. Josh felt extremely lucky that he was one of the few people Maya shared this new information with. Afterward, she had told him that not even her friends, except for Riley, of course, knew about it. That made it even better for Josh.

"You're important to me. Of course, you're one of the first people to know, Boing. Don't be silly!" She had laughed at him for looking so stunned and proceeded with hugging him again.

Little did she know he had great news, too. There was an exam he was extremely worried about, even more than usual, that he got back that day.

"You'll do great, Boing! I know you will," his favorite blonde had said on a phone call just the night before the exam. Josh always called her before important events like these. Maya was kind of his lucky charm.