Clearly

Maya Matthews had craved happiness for as long as she could remember. It was the one thing she never had in her life and was certain she'd never get it. After watching the marriage of the two people who were supposed to love her unconditionally for the rest of her life fall apart, she had lost all hope - for her parents but mostly for herself.

A promise was made to herself, a promise to never let anybody into her life ever again. They would leave as soon as they saw how wretched she was on the inside and how she was constantly being followed by bad luck.

As a child, she was convinced that everyone who knew Maya Hart was eventually drowning in an ocean full of tears and misery - she was the one to drag everybody down.

That had changed as soon as Riley Matthews had decided to walk into Maya's life and to put herself inside of her heart. A small goofball with more smiles and laughs than Maya had ever seen before in her short time of living; a ray of sunshine who loved rainbows and unicorns and dreamed of a world where everyone and everything could live together in peace; a girl who put a smile on your face by just looking at you with the most adorable eyes the world had ever seen.

That was friendship. The first step on Maya's way to believe in hope again.

She loved Riley with everything she had and with everything she didn't. It was hard not to fall under her spell where you were promised a world without rainy days and dark clouds.

But that was friendship.

Love was a whole nother thing.

Clearly.

He was there for her when she had no one else. He sent butterflies to her stomach with every small glance, every smile, every word, every hug. He just needed to put his arms around her and she knew it would all be okay in the end.

Joshua Matthews was her first huge crush and, though both never wanted to believe it, her one true love.

So she waited. Patiently.

"How am I supposed to get through this?" Maya nearly yelled out all of her frustration at the bay window with Riley sitting next to her.

"You're gonna survive this, Maya. It's just three years," the brunette had shrugged and wasn't prepared for the huge pillow Maya threw right at her with a pout and a glare.

"You can't be serious!" the blonde exclaimed, throwing yet another pillow at her best friend. "Take that back! Take that back right now!" she demanded though Riley was quickly running out of her room, scared of what else her best friend might do. Maya had yelled after her while Riley went to her mother and hid in the living room with Topanga laughing at their current situation.

She shook her head multiple times but couldn't stop smiling at the two girls who were growing up way too fast.

Josh and Maya went from teasing and bickering to playing baseball and hugging; from exchanging shy smiles and glances to cuddling and confusing feelings that were bigger than they would ever be; from fighting and being the best of friends to loving each other and saying yes.

"I don't think the lamp should stay right next to the couch," Maya protested while walking around in their new living room. Josh sighed as he watched his wife constantly changing the positions of their newly bought furniture.