Info: Good Things to Know about Drawing

Throughout the book, you'll hear me refer to many different art terms/things. This is a list of what they are and their uses.

--This part is still very in-progress and there are many terms I haven't added yet :)--

Blending Types: There are four main types of shading your drawing, and you can use any combination of them. In addition, there are less well-known types like scribbling. I most commonly use Blending and Crosshatching.

Stippling: Doing little dots with your drawing utensil

Stippling: Doing little dots with your drawing utensil. To achieve different values, either make them more concentrated or less concentrated. 

Hatching: Drawing parallel lines across an object. Draw them closer together or further apart to achieve different values. 

Crosshatching: Drawing perpendicular lines across an object. Draw them closer together or further apart to achieve different values. 

Blending: Moving your pencil in small circles to achieve a blended look. Start out light, and slowly work your way to darker values. 

Blending Stump: A rolled piece of paper that comes in many different sizes. It is used primarily with Blending to make the transitions between values smoother. Remember not to overuse it, though. (Ahhaha, I'm totally guilty of this...) You don't want rough fabric to appear smooth because you used the blending stump on it! Sometimes uneven values are a good thing, and define separate areas better. 

You can make your own blending stump by following youtube tutorials (I've done this in the past and it works pretty well) or you can buy them at a local craft store. However, they are not required to create art; you can easily use a finger to blend, or not blend at all. The main downside to using a finger is that it deposits oils onto the paper, which can mess with the longevity of your piece. 

Pencils: There are many different types of pencils that can be used for drawing

Pencils: There are many different types of pencils that can be used for drawing. B pencils are the softest, and thus release the darkest pigments. They are often used in the final stages of a drawing to make it bold. H pencils are the hardest, and thus release the lightest pigments. They are often used for sketching. HB (Also called F) pencils are an even mix between the two, and are the most common variety of pencil. I use a 0.7 mechanical HB pencil for the majority of my drawings. Feel free to use whatever you have available, though! Really, what matters more than your supplies or even your skill level is that you are having fun and enjoying the process!