Item: Potion

IMPORTANT!!! Any steps with asterisks (*) should be done softly with a pencil. This is the sketching phase, so you want to be able to erase your work if you don't like something!

—Potions in general are harder to draw. Are you ready for the challenge?—

Basic Version: 

*Step One: Make a trapezoid, and draw a line connecting it back

*Step One: Make a trapezoid, and draw a line connecting it back. At the top, draw a parallelogram and a smaller one inside it. 

*Step Two: Add a line around the inside of the shape you've created (This will be the thickness of the glass, so decide how thick you'd like it to be here!). In addition, draw in the liquid. This one is going to be still, and rather opaque. Because of its opaqueness, I don't add in a line under the liquid denoting where the opposite side of the glass is. Last but not least, I add a stacked rectangle on top of the glass, which will nicely fit the shape of the cork. 

*Step Three: Add the cork! Because of the shape of the bottle, I decided to make it rectangular. I added little pockmarks, too. 

Step Four: Line-art! The line art for this was fairly basic. I didn't make it fully connected, for pure sake of variety. This can allow your shading to shine more, because the line-art doesn't overpower it. 

Step Five: I decided to use colored pencil for this piece! Just a reminder: With colored pencil, if you want to get smooth shading, it helps to make multiple light layers of shading, and also to move your pencil around in tiny circles when you shade. 

Step Six: This is the second layer of colored pencil shading. I don't know that I really needed to make it three pictures, but perhaps it'll help someone get a better feel for how to shade :) I think I used a regular pencil for a lot of the shadows. It might be fun to experiment with colored shadows, too, though! I think a deep, blood red could make for a very cool shadow, or something magenta/purplish. Remember to keep the areas with your highlights unshaded! 

Step Seven: Finalizing the color. I made my final pass of colored pencil here, darkening all of the colors. I also added variation of the hue within the cork. And finally, I added hints of red elsewhere on the glass, as if it were a mirror reflecting it.