Creaturepedia: Satyrs

Satyrs! Ah, those lovely (and mischievous!) creatures! My personal favorites are those from Fablehaven, and honestly, I can't think of many other places I've seen them! The Percy Jackson novels, but beyond that... well, there's a lot of empty room for us to take advantage of! 

The main problem with satyrs, and what was really annoying me, is their legs. I have a feeling this might be why they're less drawn by visual artists, too. It's hard to get the center of balance right with them, and just the general proportions. So, expect a challenge XD ! 

On another note, I realized that my basic versions are no longer very 'basic' so I'm getting rid of the whole 'versions'/'steps' thing for now. It was more getting on my nerves than anything, so away they go! I'm trying some different explanations for these that will be more concise. I always liked using drawing books as inspiration, anyways, instead of following along with the tutorials per-se. So, here we are! 

Satyr-Mage Close up: 

The first three steps are laying out the foundation of the piece! I fiddle with the proportions here, and try not to get locked into too many details

The first three steps are laying out the foundation of the piece! I fiddle with the proportions here, and try not to get locked into too many details. When you're drawing something you don't draw a lot (or even if you are!) expect to mess around with the positions to get it to your liking. I went with a three-quarters view for the shoulders, and they gave me some trouble at the start. It helps to draw the arc of a 't-shirt' almost, where the shoulders go. I also realized that it was helpful to have a line of action for this one, so I add both of those in step three. 

In step four, I begin adding some details

In step four, I begin adding some details. I try to figure out what I want her jewelry to look like (because I want her to be a crystal mage) and try to give her a cool aesthetic. I got mixed up in step four and thought she was a cervitaur/centaur, hence the line in the back. But I figured it out later, haha! In step five, I searched up 'cool medieval outfits' or something along those lines, and sketched her outfit in based off of that. Step six was just refinement—I got rid of the sketch marks and went over the lines I liked the best. I also moved her hair back so there were less tangents (intersecting lines) and changed her face shape to make her look softer. Then I decided to call her done! 

Digital Satyr with Lighting

(***This one is best followed along with using the program Procreate***)