CHAPTER 7

"Anything?"

Natasha sighs from the other side of the line. "Nope."

Clint groan, slamming his fist on the table. "It's him; I know this is all his doing!"

"Clint, you need to calm down." The former assassin state, her hands moving precisely on the keyboard as she hacks into the cameras around the city, searching for any clues on the Ring-Master.

"Alex saw him at the funeral. He mentions blindness and that stupid twirling moustache. The boy said it himself!" Clint was on the verge of storming around New Orleans to searches for the man himself, but Nat told him not to and go there by herself.

"I will try to search around for more." The red-haired state, hoping that it will help to calm her partner.

Natasha received a call from him two days ago. The archer didn't waste any breath and drop the news on her. He also told her that he reckons that Maynard was behind the explosion that took Lisandra's life; the man just didn't know why he did that to his own sister even if the man was already a nut job as he remembers him.

Clint didn't tell Alex anything about his deductions, just reassuring the boy that he just needs to make sure to keep his distance if he ever meets the man again.

The teenager didn't ask for any more information after his father advises. Both of them continue their ways around the farm in silence, except for Clint, who point around and informing Alex about the livestock he raises, crops and horses.

Alex seems to brighten up at the sight of the crops Clint and Laura tried, keyword, tried to grow.

And the rest of the days later, Clint has been running back and forth between keeping up with Nat and spending time with his family.

Laura was informed about it and agreed to let her husband succumb to another mission, despite her worry. She remembers the days her husband coming home after every task, some were worse than others, but the last one hit him hard.

She heard the news that was disbanded or taking a break, as Clint called it, but some people knows that the dead have cause more impact than any of them ever thought.

She also noticed the shift in her husband's routine. When the children were around, he put up his fatherly smile, but when he was alone, his expression changed abruptly.

Then came the call from Director Fury requesting his presence back at the HQ after few months since the incidents. Laura wasn't fully approved for him to return to the field, but she knows better; her husband was unstoppable when people need his help.

But never in a million years, she's ever thought that he will return on the late evening with a discovery.

A son

Her husband has a son.

A child that doesn't belong to them, but for him and someone else.

She would be lying if she said everything was fine, but after learning that the boy was the result of his past lover, a child he never knew he had, she can only accept with a heavy heart.

But Laura was grateful that Clint didn't even try to hide any information about the teenage boy instead of hiding the boy away.

Yet here she is watching the now oldest boy of the Balton's siblings, crawling around as he was happily seeding vegetables and fruits.

"Alex?" The older woman softly calls, not wanting to spook the boy, knowing he fears the opposite gender.

Her heart instantly melts after receiving a bright smile from the boy as he glances at her, but she notices how he did look over her, yet his eyes directed at something behind her; it was Alex's ways of not wanting to be rude.

"Are you sure about this?" Laura waves her hands over the garden, smiling sheepishly. "I tried to grow some watermelon last year, not working at all. Trust me, and I tried every method. I even do some researches!"

Alex merely smiles. "M-my mom used to said I have a green thumb. I also love doing this. Can I—um—at least try?"

Hearing how sincere his words were, she nods. "Just do whatever you want; I won't stop you. Just tell me if you need anything."

The teenage boy nods, grinning widely and turn back over his new garden.

He can hear Laura's footsteps fading away and the sounds of the back door being open then shut.

Alex look around him, making sure there's no one around, and slowly put both his palms onto the soils. He closes his eyes, focusing as he took a deep breath and let it out.

His hands glow with soft green emitted on his palms, and the ground trembles softly but wasn't so noticeable. Sprouts are starting to grow from the seeds he planted, and the dried vines of Laura's failed watermelon start coming back to life.

Letting out a heavy breath, Alex opens his eyes, smiling in satisfaction. Greenery greeting him as soon as he opens his eyes.

Taking a glance over the cottage and sees that Laura made no signs of coming out, he chuckles softly.

He jogs over the pipe and starts watering his garden, wishing that the growth would be more believable.

A/N: This story happens after the end of another story that I wrote called Acatalepsy, so If you a reader that read both...... Yeah.......