34

Calum

For the first time since Rider got here, him and Gia busied themselves with different things. While Gia completed homework and drawing throughout the day, Rider read and played football with me.

The guys left before lunch, and we had eaten that together at the table, but the pair of them clearly wanted to go their separate ways today.

I was anxious for an update on Sage, knowing I would get one about their first day, and there wasn't much going on in the house to distract myself from. My cleaning had already been done.

"Dad, someones at the door!" Gia shouted from inside, so I took Rider off my lap and went to get it. It was Rider's doll.

I went upstairs and hid it under his bed, then called him up through the window to come and tidy, hoping he'd find it that way.

Gleefully, he skipped into the room, and began to make his bed, which he loved so dearly. Today had been the first day he hadn't made it, but I forgave him because he had obviously had a rough start to the day.

Not that I held a grudge anyway- Gia never made hers.

He stacked his pillows and his toy, then picked up his dirty underwear from the floor. All of his dirty clothes were in the floor from this week.

"Hey, bud, after you have worn something and it gets dirty, you should put it in the laundry basket,"

"Okay. I just didn't want you to have lots of work,"

"Don't worry sweetheart, I will always wash your clothes,"

He put them into the basket and dropped his sock, bending down to pick it up which made him see the package.

Anxiously, he pulled it out, then read it and passed it to me.

"I didn't take it,"

"I know, I put it there,"

"Oh!" he said, taking it back, "Is it for me?"

"Maybe,"

"Shall I look?"

"Yeah," I said, sitting beside him.

He ripped it open and pulled out the doll, his shoulders slumping.

"It's for Gia,"

"It's for you," I said, "Because you have been so awesome this week,"

"This is mine?"

Carefully, I helped him get the doll out, then fell back as he hugged me, laughing slightly. On the other hand, he burst into tears and cradled the doll closely. I wasn't sure if it was due to the overload of emotions that this weekend has presented us with, or because he hadn't been bought a toy before.

"Thank you,"

"You are so welcome, bud,"

"Thank you,"

"I'm glad you like it,"

"Thank you,"

I hugged him tighter, rubbing his back as he choked out sobs, struggling to comprehend his own emotions.

"I wish Sage was here to play with me,"

"They will come back, and then you can play,"