Sketches and Supplies

Dejah's POV

It was still early in the morning when I woke up. Stretching as I raise my arms above my head, I yawned. I sat on the edge of my bed to gather my thoughts.

"bzzzzzzzt"

My phone notifications appeared on my screen causing it to glow. Scrolling through each message, Gerald wanted me to stop by for drinks at "Kraze." This was the hottest club and only the rich and famous attended, well sort of. They were reopening after renovations and Gerald was working that night. He always wanted me to get out more and meet new people. I responded with "I'll think about it."

I opened the curtains and looked out the window. The sky was dark and people started to rush to their cars while others ran for cover. I cracked the window and the unique, earthy smell hits my nose giving me a calmness and a sense of inner peace. The sound of tapping on the window started to become more rapid. Umbrellas were everywhere, from one front of my apartment to the end of the street, the clouds released an overflow of water. The sound of the rain hitting against my window brought such a relaxing sound, a natural comfort that calmed my soul. Feeling inspired, I sat at my little desk by the window. Flipping through fashion magazines, I couldn't find a style that was unique.

Nothing jumped off the page or represented my culture. Determined, I started to work on some sketches to pay homage to my ancestors and culture. The rain still poured and each sketch started to come together. As the pencil leaves a trail of charcoal colored lines, all the shapes formed together to create a masterpiece. Like a precious treasure, each sketch was priceless. My phone rings and I answer with an "Hello" smiling from ear to ear. "Hey Dejah! We have your supplies that came in. Do you want me to hold them for you?"

"Good morning Iris. You don't have to hold it. I'll be there in a few."

"No problem. I'll leave it at the register for you okay."

"Thank you Iris. I will see you soon." I hung up the phone with excitement. I ordered more supplies and a new sketchbook since it was tattered. Excited, I took a nice shower and decided to stop by the bookstore to grab a bite to eat before I went to pick up my new sketchbook.

One hour later...

The rain didn't stop after I left. Making sure to wear my dark grey pea coat and rain boots, it felt nice to take a nice walk in the rain. The rain has soaked the ground as the raindrops bounced off my umbrella. The coffee shop wasn't far. It was near the town square. Several stores were nearby, including restaurants and the fabric store. Once I walked in, Gerald held the door open for me.

"What's up, Dejah?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to get some coffee duh. Why are you here?" He said.

"Hot chocolate" we said in unison. "Are you coming to the club? I already put you on the list." He asked with pleading eyes. "Maybe. I have to pick up an order." Going out to the club wasn't something that I enjoyed. I perfer to sketch designs or shop for fabric."C'mon Dejah. You need to get out more. Just come and stay for an hour. After that you can leave if you're not feeling it."

"Fine." I sighed and rolled my eyes. He turned around and left, leaving me there with my thoughts. "How can I help you?" The cashier stood there ready to take my order. "Hot chocolate please with cashew milk and a blueberry muffin." She smiled. "Coming right up." After paying, she nodded and walked off to get my muffin. My mouth puckered, when I thought about some of the sketches that were in my head that I couldn't put onto paper. So many thoughts and ideas but something was missing I thought to myself.

"Here's your blueberry muffin and hot chocolate with cashew milk." She hands me my food and beverage along with some napkins. I left her a few dollars in the tip jar. "Thank you. Have a nice day." I responded. Before walking outside, I opened my umbrella while holding my muffin in my mouth and placed the hot chocolate on a nearby table. Iris was already waiting at the fabric store with my order and today was a nice day to enjoy for myself since it was my day off. The fabric store wasn't too far but it was a nice walk. The hot chocolate warmed me up from the inside and the flavor of the blueberry muffin complimented the chewy texture while I savoured the light glaze.

I walked in the store and Iris came from the back with a huge bolt of fabric. When she saw me she smiled "Hey needlewoman." I don't know why that made me chuckle but I couldn't help it. "Hello Iris." "Give me a second and I'll be right there." She walked past me and went into the storage room and came back. Picking up a remote control, she turns on some music. "Here we go. I have your box right here." The box contained the usual pencils, pens, markers, erasers, and sharpeners. However, I was more excited about my new sketchbook. "Iris, can you add some pins, thread, bobbins and paper? I'd rather get them now before I forget." She adds the remaining items in the box and puts them in a nice bag for me.

"Thanks Iris." I gave her a friendly wave before walking out the door. I stood under the awning while trying to open my umbrella. Looking at the time I had to get home before the thunderstorm started. The rain continued without any chance of getting better. I felt each splash that touched my skin and my hair become weighed down retaining the liquid that fell from the sky. Rushing to get back home, I ran towards my apartment.