twenty four

"You really almost kissed him-."

"It doesn't mean I want to date him or anything like that." I try to tell Vero adamantly as we were outside of the building. She having pulled me from Maximus before I could explain.

"You told me...not to come here, but I knew something was up. Everyone is posting that the King is in a club with Beau, that there's evident 'chemistry'." She narrows her eyes on me and I sigh. "Beau what happened?"

I just fold my arms in frustration, trying not to get upset. I don't want...to admit anything. There's nothing I want to admit!

"I guess...I got jealous of seeing him with others-."

"I know that, but why would you bring him here when you know his feelings for you? Are you, I don't know, trying to prove a point or what?" Vero questions me further and I shrug. "Come on. You know what you're doing."

"I don't think I'm doing anything particularly wrong. I brought him here so that he could help me. He just so happens to be in love with me too, okay?" I smile awkwardly because Vero's face stayed still. "I've never had someone like me to that extent before, so much that they'd stick beside me beyond that. I want to test it...and in the process of doing that, I got jealous. It doesn't mean anything though - I still don't like him." I say quickly without much thought.

Vero gripped her chin, thinking seriously on my words. I waited calmly for her to have a response and she looked back at me.

"So you don't like him still?"

"No. He did mess up things back then and I find him incredibly fake as well as a good liar. Maximus just likes me enough to produce this fake side of him and cling to me. He'll never stop liking me, so I can do whatever I want and he'll still like me. That feels great because I've never had that before. I want to keep it that way even though I hate him for what he did to me back then." I just was trying to stick up for myself because I got caught by her.

I don't really...feel that way. I think he has changed subsequently from that incident... For the better too.

I just don't want to admit there's something there even though I professed for four years now...I'll would probably never be with him again. Here I am...falling for him all over again and wanting him to just be with me.

I guess that's something that hasn't changed.

"You mean that Beau?" Vero questions me softly, and I frown.

"I didn't stutter."

I flinch when I hear someone slam a door and I look. That's when I saw Maximus look at me painfully and I felt sick to my stomach.

"Maximus..." I say his name as he starts to walk away. I look at Vero and she looked at me in disappointment. "Vero you knew...? You...you know I can't smell pheromones... You let me say that when you know I-."

"I don't know anything, only what you told me Beau." She says calmly and I sneer.

I turn away from her and rush after Maximus. As I do so I saw him not even going for his car. Just walking off and away from here.

"Maximus!" I shout his name, running to him as I run in front of him. When I look up at him I flinch to see him crying.

He looked heartbroken and seeing him cry...because of me made me feel disgusting.

"Maximus I...I didn't mean what I said." I say to him, resting my hand on his chest.

I saw him breathing heavily and this all looked familiar. His pupils began to dilate in-and-out and I became nervous since we were in public.