9. Sunrise

Genevieve was never a smart person. Sure, she was a quick study and could adapt easily. But she was impulsive. She did before she thought. That caused her a lot of trouble. Jackson Wilfred, on the other hand, was smart. He thought, and thought, and thought before he did anything. He weighed out possibilities and ran over different scenarios until he had a good plan of action. Some people would say that that didn't exempt Genevieve from the title of 'being smart'. Genevieve didn't really care for those people.

It would have been obvious to him that hacking—even using—a computer (or any traceable device) wouldn't escape the notice of people at Blind Spot. But Genevieve was impulsive. She didn't think—she just did.

It should've been obvious that she would be caught. There was a security breach within the home ground. So, when Blind Spot agents stood in front of her bed for the night, asking for her to come with them. In the bleak hours of the morning, she was being escorted to Director Cory Davidson's office. But she wasn't as worried about it.

It didn't matter that Genevieve got caught. Hacking into their system wasn't for her own benefit. It was to prove her control over herself. If these people thought they could loop her into their problems because her brother was involved too, then they were wrong. Blind Spot could spy on her and keep track of her all they liked—it didn't change the fact that she would run away from them every time.

Hacking was a form of stealing. Stealing was once how she was defined—Kleptomaniac, Thief, Scum. Getting caught or being punished didn't matter. She was making a statement.

Save for a few blinking lights and lit computer screens, there wasn't much happening in the halls of Blind Spot Agency HQ. Soon, Genevieve and her one very calm escort were standing in front of the Director's cabin. Clearly, she wasn't perceived as big of a threat now.

"Go in," the woman sent to escort her held her hand out, nodding for her to go in. Cory Davidson's office was mostly the same as it was when Genevieve was last here. The same dark mahogany desk with the computer system that she once tried to hack and metal drawers lined up in a corner of the room. The only new addition was a money plant in a big ceramic pot sitting near the entrance and a two-cushion sofa.

On the sofa sat Flynn Davidson and Kiara Deaton. Cory Davidson stood in a suit with his back turned to her. Looking at them, Genevieve cursed herself for not being better prepared. At three in the morning all of them looked so... fresh. They were dressed immaculately, not a hair out of place and they all looked ready and alert.

A day earlier she might've met them wearing a backless hospital gown. Luckily, she didn't have to wear that gown anymore and she'd gone to sleep wearing what she was wearing the day before—jeans and a rumpled collared shirt. She finger-combed her hair and patted it down, deciding it was all she could do to look presentable.

"You can sit down if you want Nevi," Davidson said and then the door behind her was closed.

Genevieve didn't sit down. Glancing at the two agents on the sofa, she nodded at them. Deaton nodded back. Flynn nodded and gave her a small smile. It was meant to be reassuring, maybe. Walking up to his desk she straightened her shirt and spotted a pamphlet called 'Morse Code in 6 Weeks'.

"You tried to get into one of our virtual meetings." He turned around, staring at her head that looked down at his desk.

"I tried to hack into one of your meetings."

They were being way too lenient with her. Was this because her brother was alive and on their side? They really shouldn't be. She had just confessed to trying to hack into their system—there should be people trying to handcuff her right now. She looked back at the door. No one was there.