|sixteen|

Discovering that Rachel was gone put a real damper on their moods. It hadn't taken long to find out where she was head after getting a glimpse of her room.

Will and Ariadne spent a lot of time trying to unravel the prophecy. The best that they could do was believe that the godlings of the sun and moon was Thalia and Will. But like always, Ariadne had the feeling that wasn't quite right.

Currently they were trying to decide how to expand on their kingdom's success. As if they didn't have more important things to worry about. Ariadne was sure that she'd be able to break the prophecy down. It was four simple lines and it definitely had something to do with their desire to change the future.

But she had been distracted.

It was a little amusing to watch if Annabeth was being honest. "It" being the obvious courting efforts that Apollo was aiming towards Connor. Walking into their daily lessons just to see laurel leaves twisted beautifully around a new set of daggers at Connor's self-proclaimed desk made all of them pause. The shock and hurt in Ariadne's eyes had been a sight to see.

At least until the room started shaking.

The girl closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and walked away. Connor had chased after her. Which was a familiar sight.

He had come back with a small sad smile on his face. He claimed that Ariadne was just a little shocked and thrown off. But Annabeth had a feeling that it was more than that. That maybe Ariadne had finally gotten her head out of the clouds and confront the boy about his feelings for her.

Now the two of them avoided each other. Though avoid isn't the right word. The two could be found together often. Yet whenever Apollo left another gift, Ariadne disappeared. And her hiding places had gotten creative.

Like now, she was taking a nap in the threads Annabeth had been planning to use for Thalia.

Annabeth had never like to pay attention to how young they were being heroes. It was just the way of the life for demigods. Percy had even told her how young Theseus had been. But looking at Ariadne now and seeing how young she looked. Well it made her a little uncomfortable.

Demigods rarely lived to be adults.

And Ariadne had always seemed older than she appeared.

The only time that Annabeth could recall her acting her age was when she was with her group of friends.

No, that wasn't right.

Annabeth remembered seeing the girl after the war. She had been at the beach doing healing techniques on the naiads. Annabeth didn't know how they had ended up injured. Did they answer some call to the sea?

Either way, Annabeth had borne witness to Hermes and Apollo's appearance. The girl had lit up and it was as if everything had washed off her shoulders. Hermes had ruffled her hair and whispered something to her before making his way to Cabin Eleven.

Apollo, however, had stayed by her side. He must've split his essence because she could hear the exclaims of shock from Cabin 7, the infirmary, and the archery field. But the one Annabeth was watching sat beside Ariadne in contentment and just watched her. Once Ariadne had finished with her healing, she skipped to his side. Which was weird because Annabeth had never seen her skip anywhere. Charge ahead? Prowl like a predator? Strut like a princess? Yeah, but skipping? It was just too strange.

The god didn't see anything wrong. He just wrapped her in his arms and the two cuddled under the sun. Annabeth had watched transfixed as grief, betrayal and every negative emotion washed away from her. The god started to sing softly to her. And when she started to cry, Annabeth knew it was time to leave.